Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2000 - discharged in 2001 0f January - can you file again in July/August of 2009?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jul. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • Actually I filed in Oct of 2001 so it was discharged in 2002. Would it be okay to still file???

    - The person whom answered tsk - tsk - The Lord will help you. We all go through our own battles and I have to explain to no one so but God

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

  • You can file a bk after your last one was discharged for 7 years. We have been thinking about doing the same thing. No one could have predicted that with reasonably certaninty that the US would be in this economic crisis. When we filed 7 years ago we vowed to never have credit card debt again. Well with the rising cost of health care and the hits we have taken to our income we may have no choice.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

  • You can but know you will be doing this again in another 8 years if you don't change your spending habits.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

  • When you filed it was much easier to file. Now it's more difficult, laws are stricter and they make you go to money management courses and/or counseling in most cases. But in 2005 they changed it from 7 years to 8 if it was discharged in 2002 you wouldn't be able to file again until the same date in 2010!!

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.