Should I force "boy" colors on my 8 year old?

My 8 year old loves purple and pink. We went school shopping last week, he picked 6 different shirts with purple in them somewhere. They are either skate or band related though. I personally think that is ok and want him to wear what he likes and express himself how he wants. But, I'm a scared he will be taunted. Should I try and persuade him to like "boy" colors?

XandersMommy74

Asked by XandersMommy74 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just told my son that some people have silly, arbitrary ideas about color and gender and might be so small-minded and meanspirited as to taunt him for his choices, and it was up to him to decide whether he'd rather avoid that experience or wear what he pleases and refuse to kowtow to such pinheads.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I say let him be who he is!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• no, let him have his own style/creativity. Im sure he'll go thru a million phases from now til he moves out and if you force him to wear certain colors, he'll just love what he picked out even more
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'm sorry but this is very funny to me. I have a son, and my hubby FREAKS out if i get anything that can be confused as girlie. Pink is in with boys now. Watch the disney channel. Their all wearing it.

And if your worried that he may be gay, your not gonna change that. You might as well let him be who he's gonna be or he'll hate you for trying to change him.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If my husband was answering this I know he would say yes.However I am much more laid back and feel like there should be some reasonable freedom given when it come to self expression,whether it be clothes, music, or sports I believe in free will and choice.Children are prepared for life by the reaction they get from others. I'm almost sure that if it is ridiculous his friends will be the first to let him know. Sgood luckome times we have to let them make some discoveries on their own.

leo72482

Answer by leo72482 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• yes steer him to the right things for a manly man!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I don't think so. 2 of my boys don't want to wear girly colors, meaning pink or purple. But my middle boy likes those colors. I have tried to steer him away from pink, but he feels comfortable in his own style. He has a confident personality and doesn't follow the crowd or even his best friends. So I really try to let him express himself in his clothes.
    lizlaughlove

Answer by lizlaughlove at 1:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I had one boy that didn't mind what he was wearing, stripes with camouflage, knit caps in summer and the other wouldn't even drink from a pink sippie cup. If your son wants to wear pink, purple or Hawaiian floral print, let him! It doesn't have to do with gender it's just their style preference. Have him tell anyone that teases him that he's channeling rock stars, they wear whatever they want right???
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about the colors per se as much as I would make sure the clothes themselves are appropriate for an 8 yr old boy. There are many pink shirts that are very boy oriented with like you said, skateboards and guitars on them. A lot of guys cant wear pink because it doesnt look right on them but Ive seen some super hot guys in pink. I know your 8 yr old doesnt qualify as "hot" but if he looks good in those colors, then its fine. I wouldnt allow him to wear girly clothes, but colors are gender neutral. There are no rules about what color belongs to which gender. My husband will not wear pink because it doesnt look good on him and my son doesnt like pink either, but I did see this adorable pink polo at abercrombie. He wouldnt wear it..Darn.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2009