• In the Spotlight:

When is the best age to stop naptime?

We have been told that our 4 year old son should not have a naptime, so we have tried this, but feel that he should be taking a nap. Bedtime in the summer ins 8-9pm, and he is overtired by this point and gives us major problems with going to bed. I disagree with this and have heard studies where young kids who get a rest/nap time do better than those that don't. So what is your opinion?

crystaljedi

Asked by crystaljedi at 12:09 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I was just going to say "who would want to stop nap time?" lol, I love nap time! I love for my kids to take naps and dammit, I wish someone would tell me to take a nap.

He really does need to take naps. His body is busy growing. He needs to rest and give his mind and body a chance to catch up. As long as he is not sleeping all day, let him sleep when he needs to.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I took naps all the way thru high school...lol but really
    not because I was froced but after school and sports I'd be so tired I needed to just pass out on the couch for like an hour.

I encourage naps for everyone if you need one take one
    so i think if ur kids need a nap give them a nep, they'll be easier to deal with and will be in better moods when their not all grumpy from tiredness or lack of sleep
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• if a child is tired let them nap, taking away naps is the stupidest thing I ever heard
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Even adults need naps - we just don't get to take them. There should not be a mandatory age to make naps stop - our bodies are biologically designed to need them. It's our society that tries to convince us we don't need them. Sorry, but let him nap and don't let anyone tell you that he should stop.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• keep the naps. who ever is telling you to stop is just jealous they cant take a nap! my son is 3 and still takes one and quite frankly i hope he continues cause thats when i take my nap. finally got my 1 year old to nap at the same time too and this pregnant mama NEEDS a nap!!
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 1:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i think KEEP NAPS
    children need naps they also sleep better if they take a nap befor they get tired
    if they are tired and take naps a child is most likely to wake up grumpy
    lover89

Answer by lover89 at 1:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Ahh! Don't stop a naptime! Let your child rest. If your child does not get enough sleep it could stunt their growth and development. They need to rest. Even if he/she does not feel like sleeping at least let them have solitary quiet time in their room for a while.
    Anonymous

• I had to take afternoon naps all the way up until I was like 9yr old....
    KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 1:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Let him take a nap. My 3 year old stop taking naps around 2 and I was really sad because I loved those 2 hours of a break everyday. Oh well. I tried to force nap but that never worked and he seems fine without one.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i would say to let him stop when he is ready. my 5 year old boy still naps (can't live without them). my 3 year old girl doesn't, if i put her in her room she will just play for 45 minutes and then get up, and she is fine until bed time and sleeps good at night.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 31, 2009