• In the Spotlight:

anyone else upset about having to go back to work

i need advice. i'm due to go back to work in 2 days after having my first baby. i've put it off as long as i can(12 weeks FMLA). i dont want to go! i dont want to leave my baby girl. i know she 'll be safe with her daddy at home. but i've spent 10 months pregnant with her and then since she's been born she hasn't been away from me. i so enjoy our time together. i know this will sound strange but i feel like she'll kinda forget me(since she wont see me as much, i work evenings so when i get home she'll be asleep ) and things won't be the same between me and DD after i go back to work. i have to go back we need the extra income. but every time i think about going back its heart wrenching and i just cry. i dont even have a cell phone to call home and check on her while at work and its against company policy to make personal phone calls. any advice how to make this transistion any easier

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to go back to work after 11 wks. I wasn't that upset about it, since I like working and always knew I would be a working mom. When I got pregnant, I asked about options and found there were none. IF I didn't continue to work full-time, I'd lose my job (I work for the gov.'t), So I can say I was prepared for it. My baby cried so much that going back to work was kind of a relief. But..I was a nervous wreck the first day or two I left her. I was just worried about her, worried she'd forget me, etc. NOne of that ever happened. She loves daycare and def. knows her mother They say a baby can smell their mother. My baby def. knows me and is happy to see me. She's been at daycare for almost 3 mos. now and it has gotten easier and easier. Just think it's only 8 hrs. a day. It sounds like a lot, but it's def. not enough for your baby to forget you! Good luck. I worried more about how I'd sleep. That's really hard.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:39 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I know how you feel, however I wasn't as lucky to get 12 weeks...I had to go back after 7 due to financial constraint :( It is very hard to leave them, but if she's sleeping through the night, she'll never really know that you're gone, so that's a plus! I worked retail so I had to leave my girls during the day. Use it as an opportunity. I know it's hard, however once you go back, you'll realize that it tends to be a welcome break. Also, baby will not forget you! It feels like that, but it really only makes them MORE excited to see you! I miss my girls terribly when I work (6 hour shifts), but I love when they come running at me when they see me and I hear my oldest (she's 2 1/2) calling "Mommy!!! Mommy's home!"

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• yes i go back on sunday and come to find out they cut my hours so yes im upset about it and i dont want to leave my daughter
    RIP.Caleb

Answer by RIP.Caleb at 1:09 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you really feel that bad about it I would talk to your man & see if maybe he could take a second job , so you could stay home with baby until your ready & comfortable with leaving. Your baby is still young. I have tried my hardest to be home with my babies, & I've made it work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I can't offer any tips, but I can tell you that yes, it will be hard, but it will get easier. I know it's heart wrenching. Hang in there, and know that you're not alone. I promise she won't forget you! =) Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:38 AM on Jul. 31, 2009