Formula

Does anyone know of any formula that is iron free or low in iron? My son is breastfed but when we do give him formula he gets really constipated even after just one bottle. His ped said it was the iron in the formula. We threw out all of the stuff we had because we'd rather give him breast milk even after I've had a glass of wine than to give him formula again.

Do you know of any brands that make iron free/low iron formula?

crazedaffe

Asked by crazedaffe at 12:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know that Enfamil makes a low iron formula. I found it at Babies R Us. My daughter had the same issue...it was too much iron for her. Then my supply dried up despite my best efforts to keep it and we discovered she had troubles digesting the milk proteins, so we ended up getting the Gentlease (well, the store brand equivalent).

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I don't know of any... formula is supposed to have iron in it. instead of giving formula why not just pump before you plan on drinking then give baby the expressed milk in a bottle???
    RVTMommy

Answer by RVTMommy at 12:26 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you only have one glass of wine, you're fine. No need to pump and dump, or supplement. You could however pump BEFORE and give that in a bottle if you're really not comfortable with nursing after a drink.

I don't think they make low, or no-iron formulas anymore...then again i'm a BF'r too, so I don't pay enough attention to know, lol.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I do pump and normally leave the hubby with at least 4-5 bottles, but my mother has passed on and i've been going upstate to deal with family and usually I bring back a car load of her stuff. so I leave Ollie with his dad. Ollie HATES the bottle, even if it's BM in it he hates having to use it. So once the BM runs out then my hubby tries formula. The last time I went upstate I had to come home early because Ollie just wouldn't take the bottle with formula at all. The hub said that it had been over five hours since he had anything and just wouldn't take it at all. By the time I got home he had been without a feeding for almost 8 hours. Hubby was giving him water because that was all he would take.

For the moms who BF and use formula, which formula do you use? I was using the Enfamil Premium. But that is what he has turned his nose up to.
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 12:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• the nutragermn (sp?) one is the best for this.. but be prepared for the stinkest poo ever
    faithfulmomof1

Answer by faithfulmomof1 at 1:39 AM on Jul. 31, 2009