Are you the type of person who is protective about who or what comes into your life?

I am protective about who I bring into my home, who I spend time with, what my children watch on television, what books we read, and what I spend my time thinking of. Am I the only one? Sometimes it feels that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have heard that a mother holds the key to her home. She is the one who opens the doors to what enters. I truly believe that.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Oh, I promise you're not. I swearrrrr you're not. I'm protective to an extent, but mostly towards my daughter. We're not religious, and I don't want anyone to try and "convert" her to Christianity or any of the other mainstream religions. Many members of my family would be incredibly happy to take her under their wing, and they just can't understand that it's not THEIR job to teach my daughter about religion. It's MY job and her dad's job.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:25 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• no im with you 100% you can not let many people into your home me as a Christian believes that you have to pray when unbelievers come into your home the bible says do not leave room for the devil also in the T.v what you watch or have your kids what you can send evil in your home ... You have to be careful everything you do and make sure you pray before any of it..

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Nope!

Life is for living. And you gotta take the bad with the good. No way to totally and completely protect everyone from everything.

(And I feel so sorry for those sheltered children who aren't allowed to know anything about the world.)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I always think I'm a weirdo over protective mom. For most of us I would think it's kind of a mom's instinct to be that way. But I'm one of the few parents on the block that sits outside when the kids play out there even though the older ones can technically watch the younger ones. I also don't let a lot of people inside my house (but that may be because I feel like it's always a mess). There are a couple of people that I absolutely will not let into my house because of the negative vibes they give off. One is a neighbor kid that I will let play in our yard, but I can't let him in the house for some reason. Another is an adult neighbor that I have never wanted to invite in for some strange reason. The kids know what they can and cannot watch on t.v. I'm not uber strict and I do let them watch Cartoon Network, but we don't watch much else.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My kids know alot about the world. It is just that "the world" is not inside our home. They learn about the world from their friends, at school, and sometimes through the television, books, and what I teach them. But in our house, God and family is the main focus. There is a difference between being sheltered and being protected. I feel sorry for kids that aren't protected.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I am protective of our home. Our home has been fully dedicated to the Lord. We feel His presence here. I hope that the people who don't know the Lord can feel the warmth and love of God here too. I try and make it a "sanctuary" for my family.

We do welcome everyone into our home, but there are certain things we will not tolerate here. We don't let people drink here, or use foul language (sometimes a guest might slip), and we don't watch any shows or listen to any music that glorifies or celebrates the things that the Bible condemns. EX. today I got a call from Verizon saying I get free HBO and showtime for 3 months I told them I didn't want those channels for free because they also have softcore pornography on the channels (IMO). I wanted them to know that we aren't interested in "brownies if they have a little dog poop in them" -- I like to protest things LOL. I am weird that way.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I am still overly protective in some eyes; but, I feel that you cannot be protective enough.
    God gave me my children and now our Granddaughter and I am always going to make sure what is in my home and around our property.
    I cannot help what happens when they are in their own homes; but I know who is in my camp; that is through the television, music, books and people.
    I know where my kids are even now that they are grown. If they do not call me every couple days or I cannot reach them...I am looking and asking people.
    My Granddaughter is always in my view when she is here.
    TRUTH be TOLD I know that they are happy that we are protective.
    We always protect one another and make sure that we all know where we are.
    notes and phones are a wonderful thing.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 1:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• See, I was VERY protected and sheltered as a child, so I know what a life like that is and what it can do. I hated it and rebelled as soon as I got the chance. So, with my kids, I "censor" what they see on t.v. and hear, but I don't keep everything away from them. If they have questions about it, I would rather they come to me or their dad to ask then go to someone else. I guess that's just me. And, I'm also not a Christian and am not "affected" by secualr music. I don't allow myself to be "told" what to do by a song or show on t.v.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Your being a responsible parent. I did the same things because this influences you and your family so much. They live by example.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 2:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2009