How old were you/your daughter when menstruation started?

I know a bladder infection or u.t.i. are possible, but there are no symptoms of that for my 8-year-old. I think it's possible that she started her period somewhat sooner than others because she's been on steroids so many times for asthma. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Health

• my cousin and my friends niece both started at 8. i was 11. it is very possible.
    idebusashes

Answer by idebusashes at 12:34 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I was 16 almost 17 when i first started.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:35 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I was 12. I had a cousin start at 6!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:38 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It is not the steroids, it is the hormones fed to the animals. Conventionally raised meat and dairy are linked to early puberty.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My oldest daughter started 3 weeks after her 13th birthday.   My youngest is 12 and has not yet started but I'm expecting it any day.

Signs that periods are imminent are budding breasts, pubic and/or armpit hair and pimples/acne.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:02 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My aunt says she was 8 when she started her first period ...my step daughter was 10.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Eight is abnormally early. Have you taken her into the doctor and asked? I would be very concerned if my child started this at 8. My daughter started at 11 and 4 mos and my other daughter is 11 and 3 mos and she hasnt started yet. She likely will be about 12. She eats very normally and no more or less hormones than any other kid. Steroids dont do that and if anything I would think the steroids would suppress maturity.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I was 12, and my oldest started the day after her 11th birthday. My middle DD is 10 1/2, and already experiencing mood swings and such. 8 is early but not unheard of. They can have PMS symptoms as early as a year before onset, according to her doctor.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• me and my twin sister started at 12! it is very possibly that you can get it at 8. some bodies mature faster than others in so many ways...
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I was 9 when I was in the bathtub and the water was swirling with what we now know was menstral blood. My mom came into the bathroom and saw it, flipped out, wrapped me in a towel and rushed me to the hospital in just the towel! She was shocked to find out it was my period because she was 14 when she started hers. What an introduction to womanhood!
    My daughter is 8.5 and showing signs of puberty (budding breasts, getting a darker line from her navel to her pubic area) and I bought her the American Girl book on puperty. There are explanations in there that nobody ever told me, not even in 'sex class' that I had to take in 6th grade (2 years *after* I started my period).
    There is a condition called "precocious puberty" that you can google and look up more information. It indicates that "precocious" is showing signs of puberty before 7 or 8 years old (for girls) so obviously 8 is not too unusual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2009