How far does this peanut free thing go?

So I read another question and someone mentioned no nuts/nut products at school. And someone else said about places that manufacture other products but also have nut products.
SO. if this is the case. If a school is made 'nut free' does that mean that a child can't take ANY food (even if it does NOT contain nuts) that has been made in a factory that makes nut products. (For example, I couldn't send my kid with a bag of M&Ms because Peanut M&Ms and Peanut Butter M&Ms are made in the same factory? (btw...I dont' actually KNOW this, just making an example).

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 12:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Health

• Seriously, if a child DIES if he comes in contact with nuts, keep that child HOME!
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 12:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I have actually seen a kid have one of these reactions to nuts. It's pretty bad.

I think it would be sad if a child born with an allergy had to stay home don't you?

Me and my family will just keep the nut products out of school and I will tell my son not to share food. That's really the most you can do.

pixie_stix

Answer by pixie_stix at 1:39 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I am sorry.
    My daughter has camp this week. We were asked for THE ENTIRE FAMILY not to EAT any nut products for the ENTIRE week. Apparently, we sweat out NUT POISEN and it could get on her and she could wipe it on someone else.
    So before bed I have been forcing peanut butter on her and telling her DO NOT SWEAT ON OTHER KIDS. (Kidding....)
    But I am NOT telling my family they cannot have peanut butter.
    If your child is THAT allergic, KEEP THEM HOME. It is simply too dangerous for them to be out in public.
    And to answer the question YES KEEP THEM IN A BUBBLE.....
    To the OP: ANYTHING that is made in the same factory is not supposed to be brought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I get that...but my question is whether it matters if nut products are MADE in the same factory as the stuff you take...ya know?
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 1:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• well dang anon 156. I seriously dont read labels THAT closely....ever.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 2:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'm kinda tired of hearing about the nut allergies. I understand it's severe for some kids, that's very sad to me. But, at the same time...where does it end. I actually looked at lables one week, every were i went and all the groceries i bought for curiousity to see what has some kind of nut in it, or was made in a facotry that "may" contain nuts...OMG, almost every fricken thing (ok not every, but serioulsly, that much that i was shocked).
    So, my son is severly allergic to some cat hair (dander i'm sure), enough to send to the hospital asap. I can't stop people from wearing their clothes (covered in fricken cat hair) to school....it's just something we have to DEAL WITH and be cautious about. I've told the school, they are aware, my son knows not to go near cats, and to ask if someone has a cat before touching their stuff, and so on. I'm sorry if i soulnd heartless to the peanut thing, but really...now there are kids....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• now there are kids in my son's school that are allergic to red or blue dye in foods, and those are being limited. There are kids that are allergic in ways i didn't know were possible, at what point are they going to either send kids home to eat, or have nut free schools, and regular nut permitted schools?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The Americans with Disabilities Act guarantees children with allergies a public education. If you don't like the law, contact your two Senators and your Congressional representative.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My step daughter is allergic to bananas but they still have bananas at the schools. What if someone made those banana nut muffins and she ate one not knowing what it was ...would anyone care AS much? I'm thinking probably not because this whole nut free thing seems to be pretty one sided.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• This is becoming an annoying conversation. The nut free school policy is that you may not send products that CONTAIN nuts. No peanut butter, no peanutbutter products such as reeses or peanut granola bars, NO peanut m&ms, no butterfinger.....They do not discriminate against products that are made in the same factory, as there is very little way to know. SO theres always a way that peanut dust can get anywhere. Your child would be at risk no matter where they go. I am sure its hard for that mom to keep up with everything.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2009