Is goats milk safe for my daughter?

My daughter was born on the 4th of July so she is almost 4 weeks old and I am having a big problem. I have tried 5 different formulas and none of them are working. She can not keep it down if I give her 3 ounces she probably spits up about 2 ounces. She's had an allergic reaction to some or she gets constipated. My mother said try goats milk because thats what she gave all of us kids when we were babies, but I'm unsure because I hear that your not suppose to give them milk til there at least a year old. I'm afraid that she is going to get dehydrated. I bought a pump to try BF but I think its too late because I am getting nothing after 30 mins of pumping. Please help I am stressed to the max and scared something might be wrong with her...( i do have a dr. appt. on Monday)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try it cause my mother also told me that's what she had to give me as a baby, & I'm fine now! Good luck, I hope everything works out!
    luvmyangels3

Answer by luvmyangels3 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• there is a formula that is prescription only not sure of the name, my stepdaughter couldn't tolerate any formula or regular milk, my hubby gave her goats milk and it was the only kind that didn't get her sick, it is very expensive though, so he got a goat, we live in a rural area so it wasn't a problem
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 1:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you are thinking of BF, you can! But if you haven't, one time pumping is not going to do any thing. You will REALLY need to work at it. Have you tried soy? I've heard it's easier on their tummies. I don't know for sure though. Or try feeding just one once but more often.
    The BF thing will take A LOT of work. There are BF groups here that can help you with that and it would be a good idea to speak with a lactation councilor. Here's what you are going to have to start with though. Pump for at least 15 min. every half hour to an hour. You will need to do this for a while and drink a TON of water. Make sure you are taking good care of your self. If you still have some prenatal vitamins, take those too. You won't see any results at first. DON"T get frustrated. There are also things that can help build your milk supply. Fenugreek is one of them. It's a supplemental vitamin that you will have to take like 3 or 4 times a day.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:23 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• There are other things out there that can help, but that is what I took. (fenugreek) If you have a health food store near you, they usually have someone there that can help you decide what will work good for you!! Good luck!!!!
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:25 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Sounds like how my daughter was.. she ended up on similac alimentum.. its a hypoallergenic formula
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My cousin.... all of the forumlas were making her little new boy sick. She went to her homeopathic Dr. and came up with a recipe that included, goats milk, carrots, something else. If you want the recipe, send me a message and I'll give it to her. The WHO (World Health Organization) places goats milk and formula side by side nutrion wise for babies.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'd ask her pediatrician.

moomers

Answer by moomers at 10:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you are serious about relactating, get a supplemental nursing system from medela or lact-aid. It will get your baby the formula while at your breast. Having your baby at the breast is the best way to stimulate milk production.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 10:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009