How do i keep my house clean??

I am normally really obsessive about my house! I'm talking the baseboards, walls, and cracks had to be scrubbed weekly with bleach and a scrub brush! Now that my baby is crawling, and trying to stand i spend so much time with him making sure he doesn't hurt himself, that when my husband gets home i feel like i disappointed him because nothing has been cleaned! My house now is at the point where i haven't done laundry in over a week, i go days without doin gthe dishes. I don't even fold my laundry! I just live out of the drier or laundry basket!! I feel so embarrased when is mom pops in for a surprise visit, and i wish i could tell her not to come over till my son turns..i don't know..like 10! Am i the only one with this problem? Is it normal or poor time managment on my side?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 1:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You're not alone. It takes a lot of getting used to being a mom and not having control over your time anymore. First, don't be so hard on yourself. Second, set out a schedule for yourself. Mondays vacuum, Tuesdays front bathroom, etc...Try to do at least 1 load of laundry a day that way it doesn't pile up and it's not too overwhelming to fold. Clean as you go. Put things away as soon as you are done with them. Next, try to get your baby on a better schedule so you have a chunk of time in the afternoon to get some things done. I work from home and I do 90% of my work after my dd goes to bed. When she was young, I would put her in a bouncy thingy and do a quick clean up. OR gate off a section of the house that is COMPLETTLY baby proofed with a moniter and do some chores....but ALWAYS check on your child.Now, she helps me. Trust me...soon you will have a little more freedom because your child will become a little more independent
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you mom drops by have her keep an eye on the baby so you can clean your house. If you don't have a dish washer then invest in one, that will help greatly with the dishes. You should clean the house when the baby takes a nap, that way you won't have to worry about his safety.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:18 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• while baby naps do the basic daily stuff (kitchen, laundry, bathroom, those things can be done in 20 mins if they are kept up throughout the week), and spend the rest of naptime doing something more in depth, cleaning walls one day, baseboards the next, dusting the next etc...that way you can break it all down over the week and don't feel you have to do it all at once, but it still is done and maintained.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I agree with you normally, but he only naps for about 20 minutes 3 times a day. He's 8 months, and my mother-in-law doesn't come by very much.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I guess i should have mentioned that i am also a full time student, so what extra time i have i try to study.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would suggest putting him in a playpen with some fun toys just for a little while to give you a chance to clean. But I know where you are coming from. Maybe just lower your standards for a while. The baby WILL grow up soon, I promise. Just spend what time you do have enjoying your baby and studying for school. And if someone doesn't like it, oh well, they can clean your home, lol.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 31, 2009