My 8 month old only naps...

My 8 month old only naps for about 30 minutes, 3 times a day. He sleeps through the night, but i always thought babies were supposed to sleep more than that. is this the case with you?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 1:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The most important thing to ask yourself is, does my baby act rested? If baby is not getting enough sleep, then they will show it. If they have a shorter fuse than usual, are extra fussy or flustered, or have that "glazed" look - those are all signs that baby isn't getting the sleep they need. But if baby generally seems content and doesn't show signs of fatigue, I'd keep doing what's working for you. And keep in mind that baby's sleep patterns will mature as they get older. Those naps will consolidate, and they'll need less sleep as they mature.

Congrats on having one that sleeps through the night! Don't panic if that changes or stops - there are so many things that influence the quality and quantity of sleep that we get (as adults, too!).
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• lucky my son only naps once a day for 15 mins and hes 8 months... and he doesnt sleep through the night he still wakes three times to feed
    faithfulmomof1

Answer by faithfulmomof1 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• my daughter stopped naps ay 11 months, and my second can sleep 6 hour naps ans sleep the whole night, i guess is just luck.
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I have a 5 month old & she has a 2-3 hour nap and somedays a few more short naps, & also sleeps thru night. Do you have other kids in the house? I have 2 other boys & I find sometimes they disturb her. You should notice if she's tired though, rubbing her eyes, fussy. Otherwise she should be okay.
    luvmyangels3

Answer by luvmyangels3 at 1:36 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It'a just me and the baby during the day. It seems to me though that when he wakes he's still sleepy, and he kinda wakes startled as if something is scaring him. My husband thinks he may be having bad dreams...

usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• He's probably not having bad dreams, but realizing that he is alone. Here's what we did: We got black out curtains in her room, a small fan and created a distinct routine. If your baby is only taking 3 small 30 min naps, try and skip the first and second nap. Keep him awake and then between 12-2, try and lay him down after doing your routine. Make sure the fan is on pointing at the wall away from the baby. The back ground noise is great! Our routine at that age and even now (2 1/2) is this: 2 books, walk around the house saying nite nite to various household objects, ending with a kiss for daddy (if daddy's not home she would say good night to a picture of him) and then to bed. Naps and at night, the routine is the same. Once we did this, my dd did really well!! GL
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Building a routine is a good idea, but I'd avoid skipping naps and trying to mess with their sleep schedule. Babies have different rhythms and schedules, just like we do, and no one baby is the same. The risk you run by messing with what your little one is doing now, is that they could get overtired and not be able to settle and fall/stay asleep at night.

My favorite baby sleep resource has been The 90 Minute Baby Sleep Solution. It's written by a sleep scientist and Mom, and she shares some really simple science behind how baby's sleep develops and how to be aware of their alertness cycles. Learning their tired cues and getting them to sleep when they are least alert (it goes in a 90 minute cycle) helps them associate that tired feeling with falling asleep and then waking up rested (even if they only sleep for 30 minutes).
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:23 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My 5 month old will only nap about 20 minutes at a time about 4 times per day, so I think your child is fine. Every child naps according to their body's needs.
    I was once told many years ago that when children are napping they aren't really sleeping - they are recharging their batteries....LOL. I always thought that was cute, but it seems to be a true analogy. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:30 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• my 8mo old takes two 2hr naps a day, usually. he goes down around noon, and again around 5-6pm. and he sleeps completely through the night 9:30p-8a.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 31, 2009