what age for sippy cups?

My son will be 8 months on the 12th and his doctor said he should have been drinking jis juice out of his sippy cup since 6months? I have never even offered one. Now I tried one cause i felt pressured and we won't take his bottle. I'm so confused. I don't want him to be off his bottle yet. What age did your kid start on a sippy cup? How was the experience for you?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 1:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm waaayyy out of the loop apparently! I was not aware that they needed a sippy by 6 months? Of course my children were breast fed so maybe thats it, I didnt even introduce a sippy until like 10 months old. I think, as with all parenting, it depends on the child and what you decide to do when you decide to do it. Theres no "right time" thats just silly! If YOU feel comftrable then thats the right time. Quit worrying so much about the little stuff, if you want your child to have his bottle then give him his bottle. They all grow up in there own time....good luck :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 11:57 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I believe they say 6 months+
    luvmyangels3

Answer by luvmyangels3 at 1:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I started giving one to mine about that age. (8 mon.) but only some times. AND NOT juice. Mine only gets juice maybe once a week and it's way watered down. She gets a cup of water when I feed her solids. Don't give one in place of the bottle. I don't ever put formula or milk in a cup. Milk in a cup will wait till she doesn't get a bottle any more. (She'll be one on the 6th) She will continue to have a bottle till she is fully adapted to 2% milk which could be another few months or more. I'll bring a cup with me to the beach or park or what ever since it's so hot lately. That's what I do. Mom knows best (even if you don't know much like me, being a first time mom) so if you feel pressured, wait a while. But I would suggest by at least 10 month, start introducing it.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If your baby is formula fed, you can even give that in a sippy cup. But they say 6 months is about the time to introduce a cup.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I did mine at 6mons so she would be come familiar with it. ONLY in the high chair. If she dosent drink well from it, take out the sucker thing in it. those aren't good anyways. and once you are closer to botle breaking, only put water in bottle and the fun stuff, juice milk exc... in the bottle. I NEVER put formula in acup w/ either of my 2 girls and won't w/ this one. Your basically introducing it to her thats all. I think its fun to watch them explore and it makes them feel bigger. Don't stress yourself out. Your doing great. I will bottle break this one when she and I are ready, and not a second sooner.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 3:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I like DirtyMonkey's suggestion. It sounds right to me.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The doctor told you he SHOULD have already had one? Where does the book say that? There are no shoulds or shouldnts when it comes to this, other than safety issues. I never even attempted to give my children sippy cups until close to a year old. I had no intention of taking the bottle at age one either. I think its completely unfair to all of a sudden snatch a childs bottle just because they have a birthday. Every child needs to be treated like an individual and some are more mature than others. THis doctor told you wrong and gave you only his opinion. You didnt have to do it and you certainly should have never felt pressure to do anything. Things like this make me mad because no one considers the big picture. If you dont want him off his bottle yet, then dont give him the sippy cup. Its not needed if he is fine with his bottle. I do not understand the push to make kids grow up and move into new milestones so quickly.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• **I re read my post and I sounded snippy. I apologize. My snippiness was not aimed at you at all, but doctors and others who give the should and should nots for others. Thats what makes me mad. I dont let others tell me what I should do. Sorry again.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:02 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I started at 5 months.. to get his used to it... worked out great.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i started a sippy cup when my kids started to chew on the nipple of a bottle, around 10 months!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2009