Is it ok to have alchol while nursing?

This is my 4th child and im nursing her she is 5 months old! Ive nursed all my other kids but only for the first 4 months! this one im nursing for a full year! she is allergic to all formula so its just better and easier to nurse her ! as far as alchol i am not a heavy drinker never have been but would just like to have a lil rum n my coke to unwind in the evenings but i will not do anything that will harm my baby! is this ok or should i just tough out the next 7 months without alchol? ive been without for 14 months already! lol! thanks ladies

Perdy

Asked by Perdy at 1:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• gdiamante has it right. If you feel the effects, the baby will feel the effects. When I was studying for my lactation specialist certification, our instructor said the best way to do it if you're going to drink it to have a drink WHILE nursing. As weird as it looks, by the time the alcohol is in your milk, she will be done nursing, and by the time she nurses again, it'll be gone. BTW, GOOD FOR YOU nursing for a year! Keep it up! Nothing says you have to stop at a year, ya know.... =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• As long as you pump and dump afterwards. I see nothing wrong with you haveing a cocktail or two.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 1:45 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You don't need to pump and dump. One drink is fine. A little rum in your coke is fine. Stinking drunk is not fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• No, I don't . Your babies getting everything you get through your breast milk.
    luvmyangels3

Answer by luvmyangels3 at 1:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Addendum: Safe to drive = safe to nurse. All you ever need to know. No need to buy the test strips on the market (they exist to separate you from your money) or to pump and dump.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i did not dump and my daughter is a very helthy 2 year old. one drink is ok
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 1:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• From the National Institutes of Health, for the unbelievers out there: Casual use of alcohol (such as 1 glass of wine or beer per day) is unlikely to cause either short- or long-term problems in the nursing infant, especially if the mother waits 2 to 2.5 hours per drink before nursing, and does not appear to affect breastfeeding duration. Daily heavy use of alcohol (more than 2 drinks daily) may affect infants negatively and appears to decrease the length of time that mothers breastfeed their infants. Nursing or pumping within 1 hour before ingesting alcohol may slightly reduce the subsequent amounts of alcohol in breastmilk.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~q2VOrr:1

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I drank once a week at darts. (we play on a dart league for a bar) My girl is now one and a MONSTER!!! lol (in a good way, I mean!! lol) I never got drunk and I always fed her before I left. But a lot of times I ended up feeding when I got home because she would be awake and I would be full. Other wise I would pump and dump, but not because I drank. I am a SAHM and never really had the need to save a supply.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• they have a changed a few things and pump in dump isnt required, just give you body atlast 2hrs to metabolize the drink. Wine is better I heard.
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 3:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2009