Is it normal for a 4yr old to drool & snore as much as a grown man does?

My daughter drools a small puddle on her pillow, it runs across her cheek into her hair. She ends up coughing and when I go to check on her she turns to the other side and I fear maybe its all that drool that maybe causing her to choke up. ( I hope I'm wrong) and She snores very loud, just as loud as her dad & both her grandfathers. I've taken care of babies/kids since I was 14 and never encountered that problem so I wonder if its normal or may she need medical attention????

YUNG_MAMi325

Asked by YUNG_MAMi325 at 1:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have heard that snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea. I would do a little research on the subject.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Have you had her adenoids and tonsils looked at by an ENT? My daughter snored like a bear! When we had her tonsils taken out, she sleeps quietly and soundly. She even says she sleeps tight now. She is 5 1/2.

Snoring in a child is usually indicative of an illness like sinus infection or enlarged tonsils/adenoids.

Best of luck! It's an easy surgery, and makes a huge difference!
    Annette4

Answer by Annette4 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• no, snoring isn't normal. Ask her doctor to look into it and refer you to an ENT if necessary. It could be anything from allergies to something requiring surgery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Take her to her doctors, get a referal to ENT. It could be several things, enlarged adnoids or tonsils, a deviated septum, sleep apnea... this is something that needs to be looked into. Good luck!
    LadyLuck13

Answer by LadyLuck13 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I think the drooling is OK but the snoring may require a sleep study. You should let her doc know.

pixie_stix

Answer by pixie_stix at 10:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• My DS snored so bad too, and sometimes would gasp for air. I brought him into see his DR and his DR referred us to an ENT and my DS was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. He had to have his tonsils and adnoids taken out. He hasn't snored since he had his surgery and that was just after New Years of this year. He is sleeping much better, and is a little better behaved during the day because he isn't so tired from being woken up by his own snoring, or when he would gasp for air. I would bring your DD to her DR and ask him to refer you to an ENT.
    connorsmommy120

Answer by connorsmommy120 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Go to an ENT, she may need tonsils and adinoids taken out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2009