house flooring

we have been wanting to get laminate flooring but right now can't afford to do the whole house. we have the entry way that leads to our formal living and then kitchen is all tiled & baths. i thought we could get the laminate in the family room on our loft and hallway then our master bedroom. leave the kids bedrooms carpeted.

do you think that is breaking up the flooring in the house too much?....you know in case of resell. would it bother you to see a house with 3 types of flooring or wouldn't care if the house still showed well.

our concern is that if we go to do the kids rooms later that the flow would be broken up cause we had stopped at their door ways or that we might have a problem finding the same exact flooring available @ that time. so doing it later may not be possible. i'm thinking of buying the flooring as clearance and last stock and my brother install. so not likely to find exact color or brand later.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 1:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I think it is fine to have laminate thru the house and carpet in the bedrooms and tile in the kitchen.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I assume you are considering the wood laminate, that looks like hardwood flooring of some type. I would put it through all the house except maybe the kitchen and bath, but I would put thick area rugs in the bedrooms for warmth and so the kids don't fall and bust their heads open. It might be hard to find the exact same amtch later, but it doesn't change as much as vinyl tile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• yes, the flooring would bother me. but that's just me.
    i would not break up the flooring. i would think you or a buyer would want a continual flowing feeling throughout the house. even broken up paint colors from room to room can cause people to see the rooms as closed in and smaller because it cuts them off from the next and there is no sense of flow. jmho.
    oh and tile is hard to butt up against laminate flooring and have it still look good.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:02 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would have to see it in person to know if it bothered me. Personally I'm not a fan of laminate, so if I bought your house, I would probably get new flooring anyway. As for your kids rooms and if you do end up putting new flooring in there at a later date. We put it hardwood flooring throughout our house. In each room, the flooring goes a different direction. You want the flooring going the direction of the longest wall in that room. So for our house, the living room, dining room and kitchen, the flooring goes the same direction. At the hallway, it goes a different direction. Two bedrooms go the same direction as the hall and the other one goes the other direction. The transition from room to room is smooth so it doesn't look weird. If you do that when you redo the kids' rooms later, you should be fine.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2009