my nipple leeks

so i am bfing my dd she is 2 weeks old. my right boob hurts it is red and hurts and leeks white from my nipple. i dont know is it milk or not how do i tell? i dont like the hospital and dont want 2 go back can u help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ur fine use a breast pump.. when BFeeding u leek a lot
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Your fine. The leaking will die down some. You will leak when baby cries and when you are full (time to eat). If it's that sore, than something is wrong with the latch. You don't need to go back to the hospital. But I would suggest calling a lactation councilor to help you and LO latch better.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Where is it red? Where does it hurt? On the nipple, on one spot of the breast, or the whole breast? Leaking is normal. Your milk will be a clearish white color, so if that's what's coming out, it's milk. If your nipple hurts, make an appt with a lactation consultant to check your positioning and your latch, because those will make a HUGE difference. Let me know where it's red, and where it hurts. I'm a lactation specialist, and might be able to help. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• my dr said 2 push your nipple like a doorbell and hold it down for 10 seconds then the leaking will stop.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 3:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I cannot believe no one has mentioned mastitis. Get to a doctor (no, it doesn't have to be a hospital) and get it looked at before it turns into something REALLY ugly and painful.

Better safe than sorry.
    ErikaRobin

Answer by ErikaRobin at 8:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I agree with ErikaRobin. Go see the doctor before your boob falls off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If your whole breast hurts it is probably from engorgement. There are a few things you can do to release the pressure, feed the baby on that side, stand in a hot shower and let it leak, or express some of the milk. If you don't have a pump you can do it by hand. If it is the nipple hurting then probably need to readjust the way the baby is latching on. If there is one spot on the breast that is hurting it can be from a clogged duct. Again stand in a hot shower and let it leak and express some of the milk. If the spot becomes very sore or red you may have an infection (mastitis) in the clogged duct and need antibiotics. You can still nurse with an infection. Just make sure you get a safe antibiotic.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 10:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• ErikaRobin is a star...(but your boob [probably] won't fall off. )

Are you a member of any of the fine BFing groups there are here? I highly recommend it. PM me if you want.

Something no one mentioned is that if you can, let the boobs hang out. BF with a bra covering the other breast can lead to trouble. if possible, let your other breast drip onto a cloth. Also, when baby finishes, express a little milk and rub it on the nipple and let it AIR DRY.

PLEASE contact a lactation consultant. Call your local LLL or PM me your number and I will call and help you find the help you need.

@first Anonymous a breast pump can cause more harm than good.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 9:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2009