Juice r no Juice...

I don't like the idea of giving my little teether juice. It has alot of sugar, and I don't want him to prefer the sugary stuff. I understand that he needs some fruit for V-C, but he gets that with his baby food. I always give him a jar of veggies followed by a jar of fruit so that he'll understand sugars are a treat for eating your veggies. Is this weird? How do you feel about juice? Do you do more veggies than fruit, or visa-verca?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 2:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i do more veggies than fruit. i usually do half water half juice and always offer water before juice i rather them eat a fruit than drink the juice. is totally not weird you should know what is better for your child i prefer not a lot of sugar as well. we dont want rotten teeth. and if you do give them juice. brush teeth.
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 2:08 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• fruit has a lot of sugar too. Juice is made from fruit if u get the right kind. mots for tots is good taste it urself
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I only give baby juice diluted every once in a while. Like maybe once a week. My LO's Doc says ABSOLUTELY NO! But I do any way! :) But like I said, hardly ever and the sugar is why. Water is AWESOME!!! =)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:09 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Don't give something as a "reward" for eating veggies, otherwise, there will be a negative connotation with the veggies. We do more veggies than fruit, and we do give our son juice every great once in awhile, as a treat, and only about 1 oz at a time. We've read recently that the AAP recommends not diluting it, but only giving it on rare occasion, so that your child will still drink water plain. Whether you decide to give them juice or not is entirely up to you, but nothing says you HAVE to give them juice.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:25 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Baby doesn't need juice at all..it's just sugar water.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• the only time i gave my dd juice was when she was a infant under 1 when she hit on ethe only time i allow it is when shes at someone sles house b/c milk is exspensive...yes im a mainly milk mommy i want my dd to have healthy teeth and bones when she older...bash all u want my dr supports me
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 5:45 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• There are plenty of juices on the shelves that are 100% juice with no added sugar in them and are perfectly fine. I always watered them down until my children were about 1 in age.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:26 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• everything in moderation. I would wait until about 8-9 mos or so and water it down. If you dont feel comfortable, then dont do it. Its not bad in moderation.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Gotta agree with most of the Mom's before me. Watered juice is what I give my son. I've started giving him V8 juice (not in a sippy its too thick) and he likes that, so I don't water that, but any fruit juice is watered, and cups of water are given separately. This is juice (30% juice), This is water.
    momofMiles

Answer by momofMiles at 9:12 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My 19 month old has never had juice. It's not needed. He LOVES water.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 10:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2009