babysitter named television...

I am a full time student. Sometimes..ok, alot of times I use the television as a babysitter for my 8 month old. Granted, it's always something educational, I feel horrible! Do any of you find yourselves using the television as a babysitter to get things done around the house?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 2:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hey you anons, you wanna volunteer to watch her baby so she can improve herself? Sometimes we do things as parents we feel guilty for but we have no choice.
    My kids watched tv alot as toddlers and OMG they turned out awesome ppl!! You know whats worse that I did with them as kids? They played ouside after dark!!
    Sorry I just hate ppl who hide behind anon and critisize other moms!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 2:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I cant my 2 year old and 7 month old don't care for the television at all
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 2:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i dont wanna be too harsh but your trying to do something good and doing something bad all at the same time.i can tell you one thing,we live in america where its never too late to prosper,books and school will be there now and 100 years from now,but your kid wont be small forever.my child is way older and does not have a t.v at all,yes its good to have learning stuff on but your so special to that baby nothing will ever be better than mommy,school is good for the both of you in the future but 2 days out of the week wont hurt if you spend good quality time with YOUR baby.and since your trying to do something for your baby try to not do the t.v so often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• They have a new study out that kids under two shouldnt watch tv at all because it slows brain development.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Thanks a million for taking up for me, but it's alright. I'm also a war veteran so i'm pretty used to a-holes..lol!

That makes me feel alot better knowing that there are other moms who understand my situation.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i do that sometimes too. but he only sits in front of it for about 15 minutes. i use it so i can get quick things done around the house. i dont sleep so i do my school work mainly at night. i dont think that what youre doing is wrong at all. what are you going to school for? i'm still finishing my prerequisites to get into the nursing program.
    jmetz4

Answer by jmetz4 at 2:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'm majoring in Elementary Education. I really wanna teach Kindergarden. I love little kids, they crack me up SOO much. They always say the funniest stuff!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My kids watched Sesame Street and the Electric Company on PBS back in the 1970's while I did housework and they are now adults. They are intelligent, college educated,responsible adults and TV did not damage them at all. LOL. A Mother cannot be with children 24 hours a day. Anyone who criticises Moms who allow their kids to watch TV are self-satisfied,snobby meanies. So there! LOL. No, really,chill out and let others decide for themselves,okay?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:12 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• From time to time. But I have two boys 13 months apart. They are very active, so mostly they are not interested. So if I really have to get something done, I wait for something I know they will sit for. Wow Wow Wubzy is one of their favs..that 20 mins is golden when I am trying to get something done lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I don't think it will harm the child. Many many programs are quite educational, as well as entertaining. The very fact that you are asking this question tells me that you care for your child immensely. You keep right on keeping on to better your life for yourself and your child. And while you are doing that, they are entertained for a while with an educational show.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009