Death

Ok Jesus died on the cross. He is the son of God, I understand the trinit of God. How there is God teh Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. But how can God die? Isn't God immortal? Can anyone explain how the Son was able to cease to be? I know Jesus is fully God and now fully man. But idk this one confuese me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Doesn't sacrifice mean, in layman's terms, that you give up something you really don't want to give up for the sake of another? Jesus gave up continual companionship with His Father and the Holy Spirit to "sacrifice Himself" by agreeing to come down to earth and take on the bonds of humanity so that He could show all of mankind how it IS POSSIBLE to live FOR GOD by CHOOSING TO DO SO. By His birth, He showed obedience to honor His agreement to the Father. By His childhood, He showed that God's Will is to be above anyone else's will - even his earthly "parents". In His adult years, He continually showed sacrifice by refraining from showing His total power over humanity (I, personally would have had a hard time reigning my superpowers in. I still do with certain people here at CM!); CONT ...

wildflowergal

Answer by wildflowergal at 3:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• God the father, Jesus the SON, and the Holy Spirit are all part of the same being. God sent Jesus down to earth in human form in order to save the world (and I also believe to understand the human condition). God speaks through the bible and said, "I am the alpha and the omega" (beginning and end, which means he is infinite or to answer your question, immortal). So God can't die. The Son (Jesus) never ceased to be, he is just in Heaven with God. This happened after his resurrection and ascension to Heaven. If we accept his son and believe in him then we will also never die. We may die on this earth. But we will have an everlasting reward in Heaven.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 2:18 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you study Elohim which is the Hebrew word for God you will get a better understanding. God is one but not a single being.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• God and Jesus are One. The spirit is also the part of One.
    God cannot die; but the flesh did. The spirit was given up and Jesus (flesh) died.
    Jesus was God that came to earth and was born through a woman and gave of Himself as a living sacrifice to cover all sin and sickness of the human race.
    God never had to ever leave Heaven. He is everywhere all at the same time.
    Just like when our human body dies...our spirit goes back to where it came from..God.
    The flesh remains here on earth.
    just like you...you are you
    you are a mother
    you are housing God
    but, you are still just 1 person with 3 distictly different parts. at the same time you are just one.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 3:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• God is one in purpose, served by 3 distinct individuals: Father, Son, Holy Spirit (the Holy Trinity). God did NOT DIE - the flesh that house the indwelling of God die: Jesus was fully God and fully man - the man (fleshly vessel) of Jesus died. Jesus NEVER CEASED TO BE. Jesus was, is, and always will be (eternally the same yesterday, today, and forever): He cannot "cease to be" because He IS. He is the beginning and the end. He is eternal (cannot ever die). Jesus lived as a human on this earth to show us how to live fully as God desires us to live. Because He is fully God, He cannot sin. And because He is fully man, He understands our weaknesses and showed us through His perfect example how to rise above our fleshly desires to do the Will of the Father in the strength of the Holy Spirit. Soometimes we fail ... but in Christ we are perfect in God's eyes ...

wildflowergal

Answer by wildflowergal at 3:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When someone is determined to accept the trinity as a Bible based truth, your question and many others will always puzzle and confuse people, and even stumble some in their faith. YOu might find this artcile very helpful: http://www.watchtower.org/e/ti/article_01.htm xxx
    Mamkind

Answer by Mamkind at 3:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• So... not to be "flip" here, but I've always wondered about this one myself... if Jesus simply died in flesh form, which would have happened immediately anyway, why is it said that he "sacrificed" himself? He knew ahead of time what was going to happen to him, accepted it, made no move to stop it, and then simply made his way back to heaven where he came from, right? So where does the "sacrifice" bit come in to play? Doesn't sacrifice mean, in layman's terms, that you give up something you really don't want to give up for the sake of another?

And why is it said he died for our sins if he didn't REALLY die? Again I'm not trying to be a wiseass, I can't find the logic in this thinking. Feel free to enlighten me (politely if you please)
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• *correction* "Immediately" in my previous post should actually say "eventually". Sorry, it's early! :)
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The sacrifice Jesus made was that He came down from the glory of Heaven, lived amongst sinful man, died a horrendous death for these people who would reject Him on a daily basis. The joy is that He rose again, ascended, and now sits at the right hand of the Father. He is our High Priest, our direct route to God. Jesus' death was a substitutionary, atoning death, meaning the death we deserve to die in the fires of Hell (with its total separation from God) was suffered by Jesus. Jesus was, for the first time, separated from His Father for our sakes. Jesus (the man) died. The "why's" and "how's" of this amazing event remain a mystery of God's.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Now we can lay claim to all the benefits that His death afforded us. We can look for to that new Heaven and new Earth. We can look forward to walking the streets of gold, hearing God sing, living free from pain and suffering, and living eternally in the presence of our God.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2009