Cant find a preschool to accept my 5 year old.

My dd just turned 5 on July 23rd, meaning in our county she missed the preschool cut off by 5 weeks. I dont want to send her to kindergarten because I know she's not ready, and I dont want to throw her right into the full time school schedule. I dont have any idea what to do with her, I cant work with her much at home because we all know that when kids are home, they need to play! Anyone have any info on where I can look, or has anyone been in my situation before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you can send her to a private kindergarten and then send her to the school she would normally go to next year. And have her have K again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Kindergarten is full time now??? We always had either morning or afternoon school in k5. Yeah kids want to play at home but at the same time home is the best place for them to start learning things. They are in their normal surroundings where they shouldn't be distracted. I would start sitting down with her for an hour or 2 everyday and teach her the basic things that you need to know to start k5. There aren't too many qualifications to get in. Basics.. phone number.. address.. I think parents name.. maybe some basic counting and abc's but I'm pretty sure that's what they teach in that grade. She should know her phone number and addy in case of an emergency anyway. Good luck. I would call the school to find out what she needs to know and work on it!
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 2:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• that is the best answer. She really needs to go to Kindergarten it is time. Children her age do it all the time. I have a March baby and she repeated the first grade to catch up, but not Kindergarten. I own a pre school, and here you have to send any child that turns 5 before september 1st to Kindergarten. If she has not been in pre school at all, you would benefit her to let her start. Most children start pre school at 2 or 3. She is ready for the full day, it is time. I know it is hard. But, you do not want her behind.
    brandee76

Answer by brandee76 at 2:17 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You could also get her the Fisher Price Interactive TV game. I bought it for my girls but they are still too young to get it (2 years old) It has different cartridges with cartoon characters and they all teach different things. Flash cards too. With shapes, colors, numbers, letters, all of that stuff. Even Noggin and Sprout channels teach A LOT of stuff. If you don't have it I strongly suggest ordering it. My girls know so much stuff that I never taught them and I'm shocked. Then I'm like 'oh yeah their shows' :o)
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 2:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I started K at age 4 - it was full day, and I did fine. And no, it wasn't just coloring and games. We learned our alphabet (if we didn't know it), colors, #s to 100, and basic reading and writing. We did have games and music and phys ed every day as well, but we learned basics as well.

Why CAN'T she be taught anything at home before going to school? Get or make some letter and # flashcards. Once she knows the letters and their sounds teach her to write her first name .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Okay, let me see if I understand what youre saying. She turned 5 in July so she is technically elible for kindergarten but you dont feel she is ready (good thinking mom) so you just want to keep her in preschool. I dont understand why the preschool wont take her. If they are not in kindergarten, then they should be elible for preschool. Shes likely only a few months older than their oldest child. The oldest child in preschool will be turning five in September so just by a few weeks. She is definitely NOT too old for preschool. I didnt realize there was a rule about this. I think its great that you, as a mother, recognize that shes not ready for kindergarten and youre not pushing or making her do it. TOO many parents throw their newly 5 yr old child into a world full of kids who are turning 6 and are more mature than her. If you can see that she needs to be held back, then the school should honor that. You might have to go priv
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• We have been working on some things with her, in Wisconsin, its not just learning your numbers and abc's and writing your name, you now have to be able to do entry level reading, adding and subtracting etc. Its like what I learned in first and second grades is now what you need to know to even get into kindergarten. There is one 5k in my area but they charge more than we can afford right now, meaning if we send her, then we arent eating for the next 9 months. Thank you, for the replies!
    princessTnBabyB

Answer by princessTnBabyB at 11:11 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• you would be surprised at how many kids "are not' ready for kindergarten. If it were me I would send her. a good kindergarten program will work with all the kids and bring them all up tp speed together. If she is really far behind they may keep her back a year. Talk to the people at your local school. "You" may not think she is ready when in reality she really is. Unless you work in the district and in pre-k or kindergarten you don't really know if she is ready or not. I also do not understand your comment "being at home means playtime" You can teach your kids throughout the day anywhere you go. and it doesn't have to cast anything or even seem like work or a chore to them.
    Could it be that you are just not ready???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The very worst that is going to happen is that she'll have to repeat kindergarten and then she'll be right where you want her to be. But you wouldn't believe the number of kids that aren't "ready" for kindergarten. Where I live every 4 year old can go to preschool for FREE. Yet parents don't sign their kids up, so they are technically behind (by the way all the reading.....they need to be reading at the END of the year, not the beginning of the year). Most of the kids catch up, some repeat kindergarten and "get it" the second time around. She may surprise you though! She may pick up on things really quickly and end up doing better than the other kids. Give her a chance! There is no point in paying for more preschool time, in my opinion. The teachers are there to teach 5 and 6 year olds what they need to know to move on. They evaluate the kids at different intervals, so they will let you know what you need to work on.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Also my son's birthday is July 20th, so he's only 3 days older than your child. Compared to my older child, I feel like he is no where as close to as mature as she was. He'll be going to kindergarten though (well next year, he just turned 4). I have already gone through the whole kindergartent thing and I know what it's all about and it's not as serious as they make it out to be. In fact, I was down right disappointed in kindergarten. I didn't feel like they were teaching enough new material. Somehow my daughter still learned how to read halfway through the school year though, lol. She reads like a pro now. All I'm saying is don't feel like there is a lot of pressure for kindergarten, they are 5 and 6 and the teachers know that. They don't go into kindergarten reading , they come out of kindergarten reading.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2009