Why do people give age in months...

Why do people say for example..."Oh, He's 24 months!". Isn't it easier to just say he's two? Do you answer like this when people ask how old your child is? If so than how come?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 2:34 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OMG! It annoys the piss outta me! I quit doing that when my son turned 18 months. Since then I say 'he will be 2 in X months'. Like right now he will be 2 in 3 months. I've heard 49 months before. I'm like 'really...just say 4!!!' So annoying. It makes me stop listening. lol
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 10:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When they are that little there are still alot of developmental mile stones that differ from month to month so to better understand the question people put their age in months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I say 2 or 2 and 3 months now since my girls hit the 2 year mark. Up until they turned 2 I would say their age in months because there is a BIG difference between a 12 month old and a 23 month old. Yeah they are 1 but every month is like a milestone age for babies when they are so young. Telling someone that your baby is 1 is ridiculous IMO. It leaves too much wondering for the person who is interested in knowing exactly how old your baby is. Same with 2 in a way that's why I usually add the 3 months.
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 2:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I didn't say they are 24 months when they just turned 2. I would say they just turned 2 on the 15 or whatever. Then when they were 25 months I would say they turned 2 last month. I always say 2 and whatever months though. I'm not going to tell someone my girls are 27 months old. That's dumb and leaves people standing there trying to add it all up. That's too much for your average Pennsylvania resident lol J/K
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 2:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Hmmm...I guess i didn't realize that toddlers still have alot of milestones to overcome.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 2:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• As long as no one is like my sister and many others I have heard say "My baby is a 3 month year old".....WTH? In that case I am a 480 month old and still crossing milestones.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 2:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I am annoyed when people say my 25 month old did this... or my 36 month old did that...I have even heard one parent say their kid was 42 months!!! what? I don't want to have to sit there and figure out 42 months!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Up to 2 I give months, after that they are just their age in years. If people ask more than that I'll say they turned (age) in (month), or they'll be (age) in (month).
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I just had my 3rd baby and I think I say months up until they are 2 years old. So at 24 months, I would say my child is 2 years old. The main reason people do this is because, for example, there is a HUGE difference between a 13 month old and a 15 month old and it just makes it easier, at least for me! I still can't understand why Babies R Us sells kids clothes in 36 & 48 months though! That's wierd!
    TylersMama05

Answer by TylersMama05 at 8:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I still can't understand why Babies R Us sells kids clothes in 36 & 48 months though! That's wierd!

Lol, that's funny! The biggest I have seen is 24 mos, and then it usually goes to 2T, 3T etc. haha

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2009