After the 1st Stage pureed foods are all introduced, how much of the 2nd Stage foods should a baby eat per day?

My granddaughter will be 6 months old next week and we began her on 2nd Stage foods this week. She lives with me and I want to feed her the correct amounts per day.
She's been eating a bit of baby cereal each day and on the box it says she should eat 2 1/2 containers of the 2nd Stage foods, but those containers are big and I don't think her stomach is big enough yet to hold it all down.

How much food did your new eater eat and how often? What would you recommend?

I told my daughter to ask the pediatrician but she says that what the box says is what she wants to do. I gave my granddaughter 1/2 a container of veggie last night and she couldn't finish her little bit of cereal so I stopped feeding her. My daughter told me to force her to eat so her stomach stretches and gets used to what it is supposed to eat, but that seems wrong to me!
Have feeding rules changed so much in the past 20 years?

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 7:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she's eating babyfood, why give cereal at the same time?

You can't go by the box, you can't go by the jar, you can't go by the book. The baby hasn't read any of those.

The baby will eat how much the baby will eat. It's only practice, not for nutrition anyway!

There is no difference between stage 1 and stage 2 other than the size of the jar and available combination dinners.

For the record...my boys (at 6 months) ate two stage jars of food with cereal mixed in three times a day (once at each meal), 3 snacks of juice/water and finger foods per day and we started introducing table foods. They also took about 40oz of formula per day.

The baby food company doesn't know your granddaughter. They know what they want to sell you. Go with the baby's flow. SHE knows when she's hungry and SHE knows when she's full. She's only practicing, not eating for nutrition yet.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Dont ever force feed a baby. They know when they are full. She will get used to eating more and more and eventually finish a jar of food. When my son (my last child) was six mos old, he ate a bowl of cereal in the morn with a jar of fruit mixed in. It was very unlikely that he would ever finish it. Usually it was about half. So then I started only mixing a half of jar of fruit as not to waste it. Then for lunch, he would eat a jar of fruit and a veggie, and then a jar of fruit and a veggie for dinner. WIth bottles in between of course. He usually didnt finish the jars of food. Hes never been a big eater or a very big child so I never made him eat. Just feed her what she wants and then throw the rest out. If you put the spoon in their mouth and back into the jar, then you need to throw out what she doesnt eat. If you pour just a bit into a bow, then you can save the rest. Let the child be the guide. Kids know when they re full
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• no no no, never force a baby to eat! In fact, babies rarely ever overeat, because they know to listen to their "full" signal. If she is hungry she will eat. Whenever my daughter started baby food, I'd mix about a tbsp of baby food with 2-3 tbsp of rice cereal and she would eat that. Sometimes she wouldn't finish it, but that's ok. Some babies just eat light, but give her a couple of months to adjust to solid food. She'll be eating off of your plate before long. Don't push her to eat more than she needs.
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 9:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would only feed a baby as much as she is hungry for - don't force her to eat more! When my son was 6 months old he ate more than you mentioned your gdaughter is eating, but it's not a competition. She knows what she needs - just follow her cues and you'll do fine.

Answer by missanc at 2:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2009