has anyone tried the 'no cry sleep solution'?

my 12 month old is yet to sleep through the night. i am not comfortable with the CIO method, and am looking for a sleep solution that will help him have a better sleep without crying and stress (for both of us)
has anyone any experience with this method?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard of the "no cry sleep solution" but don't know that much about it. We didn't let out child CIO because 1) it's impossible for me to ignore a screaming infant/child (which is what I feel I am doing), 2) I wanted them to realize that I was going to meet their needs. It hasn't been easy, it has taken longer, but he now goes to bed just fine. But because he's older (2 y/o) and realizes that this is what we all do.And that he is not beng punished/isolated.

I don't know whether CIO is harmful to infants/toddlers because they can't tell me. The way they tell me that something is wrong is by crying. I can't NOT tend to them. We did try it a few times, but the aggravation & stress of listening to him was worse than the stress of meeting his needs over & over until he could learn it himself. I think it works for some kids/parents and not for others. Everyone has to do what is right for them.

Next?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you aren't going to let your son cry it out then you will continue to have a child that knows how to manipulate you. He already knows at a year old that if he makes a sound at a certain time that you will drop what you are doing and go get him. Sorry to say but that is a situation you caused.

Crying it out is not hurtful to the child. There is nothing wrong with the child learning to soothe himself. Much like a toddler should learn that not every cry means mommy comes running.

You have a choice though. You can have your child cry himself to sleep and through time learn that this is something he can do by himself and won't be harmed because of it or you can choose to keep getting up with him and keep the current stressful situation.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you Do start letting him cry himself to sleep he may cry for a while, maybe twenty minutes even, but thats because he thinks you are coming to get him. Every time you go to get him he will cry longer next.
    san-1

Answer by san-1 at 8:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• thats a bit of a harsh answer, isnt it lilbit? she was asking opinions on that book/method, and you jump up to criticize her mothering?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Nice one lilbit022009. Way to behave. (Add sarcasm)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• The OP said she was not interested in CIO. thats fine. lots of people dont feel comfortable with that method, so i dont think telling her its all her own fault is helpful.
    In answer to the question, yes i have heard of it, no i havent used it.
    What i have heard has been very good, its a method which embraces good routine-its a holistic method so there is a lot of advice on what type of diet is good for helping babies sleep etc.
    Id give it a go, the mothers i have known to use it have liked it.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 5:59 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• it IS all OP's fault. if she had made her baby toe the line when it was younger, everything would be fine now. i let my kids cry themselves to sleep, and it didnt hurt them none.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2009

• Wanting your kids not to cry is stupid.

Kids cry all the time and it doesnt hurt them.

Id say your kids will turn out to be the biggest sooks, and my kids will beat them up. Ha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2009