I need help with organization with paper. It seems my computer desk is loaded with all kinds of papers and I have tried to do a filing system but that seems to be not much of a help. What kind of files do I need to keep?

Renee74

Asked by Renee74 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I can only tell you what I do and maybe it will help. I have a file cabinet with folders marked for important things. I have one with my name and my husbands name and it has our birth certs, marriage license and any other personal important papers. I have one for each child with their important personal papers and I also keep their awards in that folder too and report cards. Then I have one for bank statements or any other statement that is in refererence to our 401k or insurance policies. I do not keep stubs for electric bills, water, cell phones, ect...because once I pay the bill, I dont need them. I keep each years taxes in their own separate folders too. Cleaning off my desk is a weekly thing. It accumulates quickly.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:12 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I often battle this problem. I am known as a piler. I have piles everywhere on my desk. This past week I went through a file cabinet of mine and cleaned it out. I threw out old school papers that the kids had done, unless I couldn't part with them and only kept a few really special ones. Then I made a hanging file for paid bills and bank statements and such. I am down to one pile of papers that needs my attention this week. I battle this all the time though. All I can really say is just keep experimenting. I cannot do stacking files, or file trays because everything just seems to go there. Try, try, try again is all I can say.
    adove01

Answer by adove01 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2009