• In the Spotlight:

What is the best way to study and to remember things that I have read for when I start college work and for those tests to get good grades?

I have trouble remembering what I have read when I read it and it's like I don't understand what I have read and that terrifies me that I won't get good grades in college when I start in a couple of weeks. I also have 3 young boys (8, 5, 2) that I feel will easily distract me too and I really need the help to get me the good grades I need.

Renee74

Asked by Renee74 at 8:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in

• For me-it was flash cards and finding what worked for me when I studied. For instance, I found that after a long day-I couldn't focus at night. So, I started studying in the mornings. I make notes of the key points of what I read. What was most important-I also wrote down the page number of where I read the info. and put it all in a binder so that I had it together and could go back to the book later if I had a question.

Also, forget about stuff that doesn't matter~school needs to be first in order to do well. So, forget the laundry, chores, etc. right now.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 8:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Have one notebook for each book you need to read. Take notes and any thoughts or questions while reading. Keep the page numbers next to the notes so you can go back and find it in the book when you are reading through you notes. Writing thoughts and questions can help for discussions. This also really helps for writing papers. While reading articles make little notes in the margins so you don't forget after reading. Then read it again and start writing your rough draft from there.
    san-1

Answer by san-1 at 8:45 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You need to find what your learning style is. If you don't retain what you read then maybe you do better if you hear it? Most college classes are lecture, so listening and paying attention would help you there, as would using a mini recorder to record lectures and play them back later.

Finding another person to study with is also a good idea. Group study allows you to discuss things you don't understand or remember and often someone else has a great idea for remembering vital facts.

You don't always need to memorize word for word. You need to understand the ideas and theories and be able to put them into practice.

As for the kids, they'll be in school or daycare, right? Take advantage of that and stay at your school to utilize study areas, libraries, computer rooms, etc.

I worked full time, went to school at night and was raising 2 boys by myself. It was not easy but it can be done and done well. Good luck!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Form a study group.
    Find out if there is a tutoring center that has students from the subjects you struggle with. They might be able to clue you in on what is most important to focus on.
    Don't cram!!
    Anonymous