how do you give sexual education to an 8 year old girl?

my 8 year old girl had been told by her friend that being raped is actually nice. i was shock with this and dont know what to say. i know its more accessible to get sexual issue out there nowadays and i dont want my kid to get the wrong info and end up being a sexual victim.so, please if anyone could tell me how and where to start with.
thank you

PRINCESSWARRIOR

Asked by PRINCESSWARRIOR at 8:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You tell her that her friend is WRONG!. Her body is her body and NO ONE has the right to touch it now AT ALL and when she is of age, it is her choice whom she chooses to allow to touch her. I would only answer questions she asks at this point and no need to get into nitty gritty detail. I have a 9 year old daughter and she knows some, but not all, I have answered questions with simple answers, "Where do babies come from?" "Mommy's tummy" That has always been enough, I would also severly limit the time she spends alone with this other girl. Sounds like she could be a problem. Good Luck and God Bless!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• well you need to first correct what she has heard from others. ask her if she has questions, answer them as honestly as you are comfortable doing so. but if she's talking about rape, it sounds like she already knows more than you think she does, so you need to find out exactly what it is she thinks she knows (obviously the information she has already given you is way off) and fix it. then if you know this other girl's mother, i would probably mention it to her, she may not know that is what her daughter thinks.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:02 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• She most likely doesn't know what the act of rape is, it's just a new word to her and she's using it. Unless a girl that age has been raped, God Forbid! she doesn't fully understand the meaning of it.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:09 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If the friend said, she thinks rape is nice. You need to anonymously advise the authorities. This child might actually be reaching out the only way she knows how.
    Tell your daughter that she is wonderful for asking you about it and explain the reality of rape without going into vivid details. Rape is not about sex or lovemaking. it is about power and control and anger.
    PurpleCristal

Answer by PurpleCristal at 9:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• First i think you need to explain to your daughter what rape actually is. Tell her that NO ONE should put their hands on her in any way thats not appropriate. Then i deff. think that you need to go to the school and tell them about what your daughter has been told and that you want the parents advised because at 8 years old i dont know any child that knows what rape actually is so the little girl had to have been told that somewhere down the line
    SammiTaylorTM

Answer by SammiTaylorTM at 9:48 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would definitely be concerned about the child that told this to your daughter. Secondly, in schools they teach sexual education in 5th grade, to 10 year olds so it's going to come from the schools soon if you don't. But, I don't have much advice for you lol - my daughter is turning 8 next week and I'm facing the same thing. I know several of my friends daughters have gotten their periods as young as 10 years old and I want my daughter to be prepared, but not scared. I plan to go get a few books, one or two for her and a couple for me - then talk to her about it, then leave her with the books. That way she can think about it, look in the books, ask any questions, etc

Answer by missanc at 2:42 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would talk to the other girl's mother and report what the child said. It sounds like she is being abused.

Just make sure your daughter keeps coming to you about sex. Make sure you answer all her questions as honestly as you can. I wouldn't worry about her as much I would worry about her friend.

Anonymous