Is raising a child a lot of work

How much work is raising a child?

Sonic78

Asked by Sonic78 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• umm its ALOT its a 24/7 demanding job but well worth it its worth the drained days when they smile at u
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Depends on how much help you have! Seriously, my husband and I do everything for our children--we do not have family nearby. We do not use babysitters either.

I know some mothers who have two sets of parents/grandparents fighting over who gets to watch/take care of the children, and one married SAHM who has a "mother's helper" AND puts her child in all day daycare--just so she can clean her house and do errands!

When you can dump your children off on someone else, I guess you could say parenting is a piece of cake. Then there are those, like me and my husband, who would rather "go it alone" and while it is much harder, we wouldn't have it any other way! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• umm lori.. im a stay at home mom and she goes to daycare one day a week for 3 hrs so i can clean and that also its a great interaction time for her... but i dont DUMP her off .. you sound very jealous of those with a great support system, im sorry that i love my child but love having me and hubby nights while she stays with grandma.... that doesn't make me a bad person but your very RUDE in how you say we DUMP our kids off .. GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE AND YOUR SAD LIFE THAT INCLUDES NEVER LEAVING YOUR PATHETIC HOUSE
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• How much "work" it is depends on how you look at your life, I think. For example, if you don't think of doing things with your child as a chore and you are able to naturally make most every moment a teaching moment, then it's not that hard at all. But if you dread doing things with your child or have to think of ways to teach them what you feel they need to learn (instead of just teaching by example & common sense), then yeah, your life is going to be harder b/c you're struggling to do what should come naturally. As for the housework & such, well, don't you have to do those things anyway before you have children? What's one more set of clothes to wash? What's one more dirty dish? Raising a child should not be work - it should be a joyous adventure!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• yes raising kids is hard work, But on the other hand it has the world's best rewards. What other job gives you as much satisfaction as hearing Mommy I love you so much. Or Mommy your my bestest friend. Comes with hugs and kisses that they don't make you watch a video on sexual harrassment in the work place?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Raising kids the right way is the hardest thing you will ever do. By the right way, I mean children that are loved and nurtured and that grow up to be productive happy adults, the specifics will vary from family to family and what works for one isn't right for the other. But in the end when they get to be adults and are the kind of people you would like even if they weren't your kids, you've done the toughest job known to human kind.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you do it right, it is a full time job for at least 18 years (even if you have a job, house, husband, etc.).

Answer by rkoloms at 2:40 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Relax. I don't think Lori is jealous. Nor is she implying that anyone shouldn't have help. Raising a child is a tough business. I love it! I pretty much have no help. My mom will take my son once in a while to give me a break and chance to catch up on my chores. My SO is useless. I do everything, and at the end of the day, I am physically and mentally worn-out. My son has never been easy. Now, as a toddler, he is into everything (normal, but tiring) and has short temper. He is the sweetest thing ever, as well. I love what I do. However, sometimes I feel a little put off. My friend lives with her parents and siblings, she hands her daughter off whenever she feels like it. SHe has the weekends "off". She can sleep in sometimes. She has no other responsiblities, and is allowed to go out and go to fun places even though she lives off government funds. Am I frustrated about that? Yes! Do I want to be her? NO!
    Anonymous

• It is one of the toughest jobs, but the most rewarding. :)
    Anonymous