• In the Spotlight:

how to find a sitter?

I live in upland indiana and was wondering if theres a place on here that helps you find local sitters or if anyone has any advice? thanks

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 9:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• check your local churches for posts that people might have put up looking for a sitter...or ask around your neighborhood, and you could also check out craigs list and interview people....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you are looking for an occasional sitter for date nights, etc. I would agree on the idea to check at churches. Our city offers a babysitting safety class so that might be a place to start looking too. Craigslist is good but be cautious, I would suggest always meeting in a public place first no matter where you find the ad - maybe bring the kids to a playground. If it is a teen or younger I would offer to let them bring a parent with so they feel comfortable.

If you are looking for full time care, consider an Au pair!
    LCCTracie

Answer by LCCTracie at 10:16 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The way I found a really good one before was I called the local high school nearby and asked the ladies in the front office if they had any recommendations. (Figured they might have an idea since typically high school girls might babysit)
    Well they put me in touch with the lady of the Early Childhood Dept or something to that effect. It was the class that Jr's and Sr's took who were going into Early Childhood in College. It also had where young children came in a few afternoons every week for them to work with and interact with.
    So I spoke with her and she sent me a list via email of her top 3 students that she knew did babysitting and that she recommended personally. From those 3, I interviewed them all, and chose one girl that I used a few times that was awesome, and another girl that was a backup.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2009