Is it normal for a seven year old girl with some speech problems to destroy things like her eighth bed in the last five years amoungst other things?

She was born early with a inside cleft palet that special circumstances prevented us from being able to repair until just last year which has caused numerous problems. Speech, communication, learning difficulties and ear infections not to mention constant colds, never ending coughing ect.... we are having trouble figuring out where her conditions to blame for her {at times totally outragous} bad behavior and when it might just be her misbehaving. Help! Running out of funds to constantly replace items that shes ruined or lost as well as patience.. Has anyone heard anything like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Im no expert on this...but in my opinion anything that would constitute as bad behavior should be stopped! there is nothing wrong with her mind, and if you let her get away with that stuff its only going to get worse...it sounds like she has alot of anger though that could be related to all her problems...consider talking to a counselor...they might be able to help, and might get your child to speak up with whats bothering her. Another option, and its going to sound strange but it works! invest in a punching bag...teach her that any time she gets angry to grab the gloves and go at it...my husband grew up with one in the house and said it helped relieve alot of anger and stress...they arent as expensive as you think, and it will redirect her anger and wont do any damage to her furniture!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Honestly, with everything that you mentioned it sounds like she is frustrated and having a hard time trying to get her feelings and/or thoughts across. Have you talked with her Doctor to see what you could do to help with this behavior?
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 10:08 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I agree with Lacey. It sounds like she needs an outlet for her feelings. Would perhaps a journal be an option? If she takes care of it, you could get her a very nice one later. Barnes and Noble and Books a Million have very pretty ones covered in fabric, leather, even rhinestones. My DD loves them and has several.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 10:23 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I have a two year old with a speech problem too... I totally agree with the other moms.. but...... Its very easy for them to get upset of something simple cuz they don't know how to say what they want ect.. I suggest getting her into speech thearpy or something another good thing is sign language. I teech all my kids sign i have a deaf brother, The best movies for kids are the Sign Time Movies, you can get them at the libarary or buy them...
    bratdi

Answer by bratdi at 11:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2009