Help! My 1 year old daughter is pulling her hair out!

My 1 year old daughter is pulling her hair out! It seems to be a soothing technique. She does it only when she is in her crib going to sleep or when she is waking up. At first, I thought she was just playing with her hair, but then I started to notice that she is actually pulling it out. The pediatrician said not to worry about it, that it is usually self-correcting. He also advised not drawing attention to it. He said that with older children it can be a sign of stress, but not with a one year old. Trust me m daughter is NOT stressed! I started giving her a baby doll to sleep with as an attempt to distract her from pulling her hair. It seems to be helping a little. Any suggestions? Anyone else dealing with this too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd did this as well and on one side of her head she was bald and on the other she had longer dar hair. She would twist and pull. We also tried giving her a babydoll with hair to get it to sotp, but my nieghbor finally gave us the best solution. We cut off all her hair so she couldnt get ahold of it. when it was short she would Pluck it like a guitar string so we went shorter and she started twisting my hair and the baby dolls, but it did get her off her own hair. I think you could just do nothing, because she should grow out of it but be prepared for the bald spot!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 31, 2009