Breast feeding with a bottle on the go

I have a week old daughter, and I was wondering if it's ok to pump the breast milk into a bottle and say take it with you to feed if you're somewhere 45 minutes from home. Would the milk be safe to feed in the bottle?

contrariant

Asked by contrariant at 9:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, as long as you keep it cool but keep in mind that it's recommended that you try not to use a bottle until breastfeeding is very well established to avoid issues with nipple confusion etc. All babies are different though, my second son had no issue at all with that, but it's just something to keep in mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The milk will be fine! but if your concerned about nursing in public- I suggest practicing at home in front of a mirror to become more comfortable! (It will be easier on you in the long run!) And I bet your not showing as much as you think ;-) Good luck!
    Habibti812

Answer by Habibti812 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It would be fine, but is not recommended for several weeks. I agree with the PP, try nursing in front of a mirror, it will halp you be more comfortable with NIP. Also you could get a nursing cover if it made you more comfortable, but I never use them unless DH is with me (he is really uncomfortable with NIP), and my kids always hated them,
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 10:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I got a cooler thing from the hospital in one of those freebie diaper bags they give away. It has ice packs ont he sides and room for a bottle in the middle. I would use that to take pumped milk then run it under hot water to feed. She also was bottle feed from 2 weeks and had no problems going between breast and bottle. I have heard that it's not really "nipple confussion" rather laziness on the child as bottles are eaiser to suck. Sometimes they will be lazy and refuse the breast because they hvae to work a little harder. But this isn't always the case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Yep. Fresh pumped breastmilk (that hasn't been cooled) can stay at room temp about 4 hours and be fine. If it's going to be longer than that I would put it in a cooler.
    And as far as bottle feeding a breastfed baby.... I think it's a good idea to introduce the bottle sooner than later and not wait so long. We introduced one within the first week and never had any troubles with him going between breast and bottle (we were so worried he would because my niece never would take a bottle and got kicked out of daycare and everything because of it)
    I wouldn't use a standard bottle nipple... I would get something that is like the breast with a very slow flow nipple. It's more flow confussion than nipple confussion.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• One thing you'll want to think about is your supply. If you're not going to be physically nursing her or pumping while you're out your supply could possibly decrease from missing the feeding. I found it much easier to ditch the bottle and find somewhere I felt comfortable nursing my baby. One thing I loved about this is that it gave us alone time when we were around a lot of people.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• At the hospital, the nurse told me that breastmilk was okay for 4 hours at room temp so you should be fine. Several people mentioned nipple confusion and I guess that is a problem, but i had some issues where my milk didn't come in and the lactation consultant told me to breastfeed so I would get stimulation and then give him a bottle - she recommended the avent bottle and nipples, but that's just one person's advice.

Answer by missanc at 1:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2009