A Question for fellow Christians

First let me say that I am a Christian...however I am "new". But I have a question, before I accepted Jesus, I got "hooked" on Harry Potter. If somebody knows that it isn't real and that it is for entertainment purposes only-is there really an issue with it?

Same thing for the Twilight series...and The Da Vinci Code and whatnot. If you know deep in your heart and soul that God is good and you live your life according to His teachings...is it really that big of a deal if you watch them? I have watched the Harry Potter movies and I don't take anything way from it other than it being a movie.

I don't need to get bashed...I don't need to be put down by anybody. It is an honest and sincere question....so if you have nothing nice to say, hold your tongue please.

LaceyAM

Asked by LaceyAM at 10:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There's no problem with HP or other reading entertainment just because you're Christian, new or otherwise. Most open minded people would agree. These books are for entertainment purposes only, and sometimes they actually reflect good vs evil messages in a way that makes more sense to people - the ideas of self-sacrifice, abstinence, written in ways that help other understand them better.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The reason why I was asking is I was on www.CBN.com and they have a whole bunch of articles against Harry Potter....
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 10:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I am a Christian and I do not have a problem with Harry Potter or Twilight or The Da Vinci Code or anything else. Everyone's relationship with Jesus Christ is personal. If the fake sorcery in Harry Potter causes you to stumble and want to go out and do real sorcery then perhaps I would then avoid Harry Potter lol. If you can enjoy Harry Potter for what it is, a piece of literature that uses symbolism to represent the battle of good against evil (just as Narnia which is Christian symbolism), and a fine example of the entertainment of our time and culture today, then I see no problem with it. It doesn't give real chants or spells or put foul and detrimental ideas into your mind. If anything, it's encouraged literacy and imagination in this country :-)

Being against HP (and other works) is just one view of a limitted portion of Christians. J.K. Rowling is a Presbyterian and many denominations have no problem with HP.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I have never heard anyother Christian ask this. I think it is fine to read those books or watch those movies. I am a Christian too and I find that I do try to not accept things that could make me fall into a pit, like try not to accept sin as "normal" behavior for our culture. I see no problem in watching Harry Potter. As a christian it is hard to let go of guilt and also to accept that God loves us exactly how we are and we can't do anything to change His love for us. However we still have to deal with consequences to our actions. I think what may be a sin for some is not a sin for others. Too me a sin is anything that I inhibits or blocks my relationship with God. if in times of stress I turn to a cigarette instead of God that could be taking away from my relationship with Him and I put it first so I need to throw it out and get my focus right. anyway rambling now, but this is something most Christians struggle with.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I think the concern over HP is that they feel it glorifies witchcraft to impressionable children. Even though the sorcery and magic in the movies and books are pretend, the concept of using magic and spells to bring about your desires or solve your problems is not. Many parents want their children to learn to rely on God and not put emphasis or glorification on magic of ANY kind. I'm especially reminded of the instance of King Saul in the Bible when his lack of faith in God was demonstrated for the final and last time when he sought the witch of endor for help. God's protection was removed from Saul and he died in his next battle whereas in the other battles, he hadn't had so much as a scratch. I think God takes trusting in him and nothing else for answers very seriously. SO, if children are indeed stumbling and confusing this fake witchcraft for faith in real witcraft, I can understand their parents being upset with it.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:13 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Thank you ladies so much for your answers. As a mother of a young child this was something that I was struggling with..and it is good to know that there are other Christians out there that feel the same way I do in regards to this matter. I am not interested in going out and turning from my faith and my children are being raised to know the difference between real and make believe...my oldest will ask me if something is real or not and that opens the door for a conversation. Thanks again.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 10:23 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I LOVE the Harry Potter books. I've been going to church since I was 2 weeks old. As long as you know that it's fantasy and you're worshiping the books or the author, it's just fine.
    Eragon is also amazing; I can't wait until the next book comes out.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:26 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The Authors of all of the books you listed are Christians.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If you honestly feel no condemnation from reading those books and you don't find yourself obcessing about them or neglicting your Bible reading then I see no problem. Don't allow other Christians to push you into bondage of do's and don'ts. If the Holy Spirit is convicting you then don't read them if not then enjoy.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:03 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I understand how you feel, my husband loves sci-fi/horror films, but we have toddlers. We are both Sunday school teachers and go to a Bible believing church and want to serve God with our lives, If we want to watch a movie for entertainment, and it has something like that in it, we wait until the kids go to bed. My daughter is 3 and she will repeat anything she sees or hears. I just want to protect her sensitivity and keep her childhood as long as it is possible.
    jenniferh3

Answer by jenniferh3 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 31, 2009