medicine for baby?

i know this is a question 4 a dr (i called the pediatrician and got the answering service who told me to call back when they are open...?).. but in your experience...have you ever been allowed to give your baby (mine is 6 weeks) some sort of medicine? She sounds like shes got mucus in her throat..and its not like i can tell her "clear your throat".. u know? i just have no idea what to do 4 her.

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 10:06 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im a pediatric nurse and no medications, take a hot shower or run steam in the bathroom and and let her sit and breath it in to help clear up the mucus also baby vapor rub on her feet and put socks on her feet it absorbs it faster there and invest in a cool air humidifier, otherwise no there is no meds u can give her at this age and prop her when she sleeps and after she eats give her a tiny bit of water to clear out the back milk in her throat
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You can get Vicks Baby Rub. It always helped my little boy. And run a vaporizer for her. And, you can rub vicks on your own chest and cuddle her.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:18 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• thank you sooo much! i did the hot shower/steam thing yesterday so I will do that again (right now lol) and will go get the baby vapor! I don't want to give her meds unless she HAS to have them, so I like these alternatives. It is sort of sad that I can get a good answer on here b4 I can from the pediatrician. thanks again!
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:19 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It is sad. I have a really hard time getting my son in to see a doctor, too and the ER docs around here are completely worthless. He had a yeast infection diaper rash so bad it was making his butt bleed and they told me to keep using Desitin.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:20 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• goodness! its ridiculous! your poor little guy! i took my daughter to the walk in once because the dr wouldn't call back..it's sad that it is quicker.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:26 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• We don't have a walk-in clinic around here.
    I live on a military base so it's the base hospital or nothing.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• The only meds I know an infant can take is Tylenol. For just a common cold, I think you just need to suffer through it, as hard as it is. Get a vapor machine, elevate the crib (if baby sleeps in it) so they are not sleeping on their back, or let baby sleep in a bouncer or swing so they are at an angle. You can use the suction thing, and I think you could also use saline drops for their noses to break up the mucus.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Oh man. I was born on a military base and I have heard stories about how the health care is around there. You would think it would be different.
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:34 AM on Jul. 31, 2009