Dh - the picky eater!

My dh is a very picky eater in the worse way! We do eat out alot (trying to change that) but when I do cook he only eats the meat! Or if I fix something he isnt crazy about he will eat cereal for dinner ( the unhealthy -kiddy kind)
At the same time he is always freaking out about his health & afraid he will have a heart attack young. He went to the Dr. & pretty much everything came back borderline (cholesterol, ect)..
What can I do? It makes me "the cook of the house" feel guilty.. But at the same time i feel "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink"..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Health

• You are right, if you are putting the right foods on the table and he isn't eating it, then there is nothing that you can do. You need to sit down with him and speak to him. Tell him that something needs to change, and that you are doing everything that you can do to help him, but if he wants to be more healthy then he is the one that needs to make the decision to eat right.

Does he have an interest in cooking, or learning how? I hate to say this but there is a tactic that a lot of people use with kids to get them to eat right and to try new foods and that is to help in the kitchen and learn how to make meals. Usually it is more appealing to them then. Maybe you can try that with him. Good luck.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 10:15 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• He is an adult and you are not responsible for what he eats....so let yourself off the hook! This is his issue....not yours! No sense adding to his problem and to yours by taking this on yourself. It won't help and you will only be playing "mommy" to your husband. That is never good for a relationship.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:21 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My husband used to be the same way! I did a similar trick that LaceyAM suggested. I started asking for "help" in the kitchen, and getting him to start seasoning his veggies and going grocery shopping with me to pick out more healthy items that he liked. I would tell him how "good" his veggies tasted- even when I hated them! I noticed he started to eat a lot more of the healthier foods. Also, things like meatloaf can have veggies "snuck" into it. I put spinach in my meatloaf and you can't even tell lol. Honestly, its his decision to eat healthier and if tricks don't work- I wouldn't stress over it. Its his body and his decision and he's really the only one that can make it.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Treat him the same way that you would treat a child going through a picky phase (not the way his mother handled it).

Prepare a variety of tasty, healthy foods. We have the 3 bite rule; you try 3 bites of what is on your plate, if you don't like it then you prepare yourself cashew butter and honey on whole grain bread with an apple.

If you need meal ideas, send me a message

Answer by rkoloms at 2:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2009