Help With The Sippy!!!!

This is sad I know but my son is 11 months old and he still will not hold his bottle up or his sippy cup. The only way he will eat them is if he is laying down on a pillow. When he is sitting up I try and help him hold it up but he gets mad! He can hold them just find its just the whole process of holding it up far enought for him to get any milk out! Any advice??? I do feel bad he is still not holding it, i just dont know what to do to help him

NicolePB

Asked by NicolePB at 10:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do not feel bad
    babies develop at different times
    you are a good mother for noticing
    when was he last seen at the ped doc?
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Sometimes those bottles can be hard for their little hands to hold. Do you have any with the side grips? Maybe that would help?
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i had the same problem. i started by putting his hands on the bottle while I held it and after 2 or 3 days he was holding it on his own. i still sit and lay him back a bit on my lap(he just turned 1 yr.) so he can drink but he is starting to realize that he needs to hold it a certain way to get anything out of it. he never would drink from a sippy cup, he drinks great from a regular cup though.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• there are a couple of things that you can try. FIrst, try getting some sippi's with the side handles. They seem to be easier for babies to hold onto, and if he has a better grip he might be able to do it on his own. Secondly, just be patient! A lot of kids are like that, and eventually he'll get it. Does he pick up his own bottle off the floor?? With my niece (my daughter is a brute so she's been drinking while sitting/standing for a long time now) we had to finally just leave her alone and 'make' her do it herself to get her to figure it out. As long as she knew that we were going to help her, she would refuse to hold the bottle herself. But if you left it on the floor in front of her and didn't help her at all, she'd pick it up and drink. Each kid is different, and if your really worried about it then your ped. might have some better suggestions.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I use sippy cups with 2 handles, which i think makes it easier. Also, can you try holding him, like half sitting/half laying and get him to take the sippy that way and then just gradually move him higher and higher each time so eventually he's sitting up?

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• To get my daughter to hold her own bottle I would just keep giving it to her on her own (I would help her if she needed it after a little bit) and eventually she just caught on. Babies do develop differently and if you think there may be an even bigger problem you uld call his doctor.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 31, 2009