Child Beauty Pagents

I'm seeing a lot of negativity about them. Do they offer anything positive other than money?

Mama_Kimmy

Asked by Mama_Kimmy at 10:25 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• IMO, no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• IMO, not for the majority. I have heard some good stories where girls swear the beauty pageants made their daughters have more self esteem, etc, but I wonder how much of that is mom and how much is really true. I've never seen a first-hand account of it doing anything but harm.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:31 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I don't think so. And I don't think it's right to dress your little girl up like a Las Vegas hooker.
    I have no problem with baby pageants - where you don't have to put makeup all over your kids blah blah blah.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:38 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• No
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 10:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I was in beauty pageants as a child and had no negative effects from it. They were fun I loved to dress up and loved performing so for me it was a blast. My mom and I had so much fun going on the trips to the pageants. The money I earned paid for my education and what was left paid the 20 percent I put down on my first home. My daughters are in pageants and sports my sons play just sports. I have seen as many if not more vile parents at sporting events than at pageants. Parents screaming and telling their kids they are horrible because they did not make a goal. Parents who live through their kids accomplishments from pageants, sports and academics are not great parents.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I agree with Annon O3
    I was also in pageants from age 7 til teenage, still have some involement, and there are good and bad experiences with any activity. I personally have very fond memories of friends, trips, quality time with my mom and preforming. It was like a hobby to us. Just like any hobby it takes time, you have fun, you learn, and it can be as pricey as you let it be.
    I always KNEW that it was for a friendly competition, just like with sports. I tried my best and was able to stop and try a new hobby at any time. But, I loved doing it. I still have friends that are in the Mrs/Miss pagents, judges and coaches. Just like some men that played a sport are now referees and coaches.
    I agree with PP some parents can ruin any kid activity if they are pushing it on the child for the wrong reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• no!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:36 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• NO!
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• who wants to parade their 5 year old around in false teeth, dyed hair, spray tans and more makeup than Tammy Faye Baker (RIP ) and thinks it promotes self confidence? Oh and they usually look like street walkers.
    Anonymous

• Kimmy. I have done some picture contests with the lil man and he really liked it. Hes a camera bug anyways... you know that. If it would ever get to the point that I wanted it more than him than it would be over, but until then it's fun for us to take pictures and be together. It really depends on the family. If your kid likes it than by all means consider letting them but dont force them. We usually go for some that offer college scholarships. It does help with bonding to be able to take a day and focus on the cute things kids do.
    Mama_Shannon

Answer by Mama_Shannon at 12:51 PM on Aug. 4, 2009