Am I high risk in my pregnancy?

My doctor doesnt seem worries at all. I went to my first ob visit yesterday and she said try not to gain more than 10 pounds.

I weighed in at the most ever a whopping 362 pounds.

Before you bash, I have severe hypothyroid, and was just diagnosed with diabetes because my underlying number of A1c was high even though my blood sugar levels are always normal.

I have many medical issues. Arthritis which doesnt allow me to walk very far, so exercise is not an option.

My doc doesnt answer my questions because she simply states "We only have time to talk of one issue each visit, you need to make seperate appointment for each issue" My next appointment isnt until August 28th and i have about 6 issues to talk about, what do I do?

I finally get into my first endocrinologist appointment on Monday (after waiting 4 months) maybe she will be able to help me much more. thanks for reading, all responses are welcome.

tsjpop

Asked by tsjpop at 10:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would find another doctor right away! I'm a FTM and my doctor had to listen to EVERY little illness concern I might have! I swear sometimes it felt like she has been holding my hand this entire pregnancy lol! Visit your local WIC office and see about talking to the nutritionist there as well- I was a little overweight when I began this pregnancy and she helped me get on the right track as far as eating right, and showing me what exercises are healthy to do. Some you can even do in your chair or at a desk where it doesn't put a lot of strain on your body! I have similar issues to yours, and I can tell you that the more weight is gained the worse it gets! Good luck hon and i hope all goes well!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If your doctor isn't willing to take the time to answer your questions, I suggest you find another doctor!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 10:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I would get a different doctor. If the doctor isn't taking the time that you need to discuss your concerns, you need to find somebody else. I would think (but I'm not a doctor) that with all your medical issues, yes you would be in a high risk category.

I was 5 months pregnant with my first before I got medical care (due to circumstances--no bashing from anybody please) and I had NO underlying medical issues and I was considered high risk.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 10:38 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i'm sorry but having arthritis is no excuse not to exercise... i've had ra for 14 years and still try to exercise, yes it is hard but not impossible... if anything it helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• you defintely should look into finding a different dr. A dr is being paid to listen to your concerns and to answer your questions.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 10:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Yea.. I would find a different doctor too.. I'm overweight (currently at 315 while 36 weeks pregnant) but don't have any health issues. If your doctor isn't willing to talk to you about all your health issues, and give you advice... you need a new doctor.

I went to my OBGYN a few weeks ago and told him I developed a perforation in my septum, and he was so worried he called an ENT personally to get me in asap.

And.. don't listen to any bashing you might get on here.. lot of cranky women use cafemom, and normally show up as anon. Good luck, and find a different doctor! :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:15 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I agree that you should get a new doctor. One issue per appointment? That's crazy! Getting a new doctor now while you're still in the first trimester will be easier than if you wait.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i would tell your dr that you're not leaving until ALL of your questions are answered. remind her that you hired her and that you can find another dr that will take time to answer all of your questions. also, tell her if she only has time to answer one question on each visit, then she needs to take more time out for each patient.
    to me, it sounds like she is trying to see as many pts as she can each day, which is not good.
    i would also ask for a referral to see a nutritionist. they can help plan out diets that is best for you. i think the new recommendation for overweight woman is to gain 10lbs, and obese is 0 lbs. w/ having a thyroid issue, that is going to make it harder.
    some good exercises for you to do while pg w/ arthritis issues is swimming. it won't be hard on your knees or back. also, it will help w/ any pressure your feeling in pg.
    http://home.mindspring.com/~djsnjones/id69.html
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:28 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• you should find a new doctor and as for the thyroid issue that should be watched VERY closely i have no thyroid and it is considered a little more high risk then others you have to make sure your meds are correct the babies thyroid kicks in i belive around 26wks dont quote me on that i have papers somewhere that tells me but anyways it needs to be watched closely so make sure they do
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 11:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I suggest you find a new doctor also. There is no point in paying for their services if they are not going to provide quality care.

For what you have said, I'm sure you will be considered "high risk". Check out the Brewers Diet, not this is not a weight loss diet, it is a pregancy "diet". Basically it is making sure you eat the proper amounts of certain foods to provide you baby with what he/she needs to grow and develop (this is what my midwife has me on). However, the "diet" is not concerned with with gain, but with proper nutrition.

I understnat where you are comming from with bad joints, I have ostonecrousis ( bone death) in my hips and knees. However, I have been seeing my chiropractor for lazer treatments (but I don't do them during pregancy). This has made a WORLD of diffrence in the pain managment ans has turned the damage around, something you might look into. I would be glad to tell you more about.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 12:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2009