Does your SO/DH "know" what to do with the kids?

I saw a question in one of my groups, and it made me think...Would your husband know what to do if he had the kids for 24hrs straight without you around and no help from anyone else? Could he handle all of the "mom tasks" for an entire day ALONE?

My husband in one word: NO.

(I'm not complaining, because he works full-time, and I'm SAHM.)
What he can do:
bottle-feed
change diapers
play and cuddle

What he can't do:
change her clothes very well
spoon feed
table feed
comfort her when she's crying
bathe her
pull up the crib railing (he knows HOW but he always FORGETS)
clean!!!

Literally whenever she cries, he gives up. If it's bedtime and she doesn't want to sleep, he hands her off to me, because he doesn't know what to do.

I've caught him complaining that I do "nothing" all day while he works, but I'd like to leave him home for 24hrs straight with no help some

Mick86Sara

Asked by Mick86Sara at 10:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The only thing my husband ever did was feed the baby and change their diapers. Now that we don't have any in diapers and they can all feed themselves (and 3 of the 4 can get their own food) he wouldn't do anything for or with them if I was gone. They would have to fend for themselves. They would eat just cereal and sandwiches because that is what they can make for themselves. I would come home to a wrecked house and hungry, dirty kids.
    This was proven when I was in the hospital after our youngest was born. I was gone 3 days and he fed them cereal and PB&J every day, did no cleaning and didn't even take our oldest to school because it was too hard to have her at the bus stop by 11:30am! She missed 3 days of school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:28 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'm lucky I can leave and there wouldn't be an issue. He might call and see where something is, but he's really good like that. My daughters LOVE him and would rather be with Daddy than with me anyway... :) SO again, I'm really lucky.

The only issue that there would be is if my youngest has a really really nasty diaper. But if I'm not around and he doesn't have a choice he'd be fine.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 10:35 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• CONT'D.....sometime to see if he'd change his mind. That 24 hrs includes taking care of our daughter AND keeping the house clean while doing it!
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 10:35 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Oh and I should mention that our daughter is 7 months old.
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 10:36 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My husband could handle it, but I'd probably come home to a mess and the baby would sleep in just his diaper and no jammies. No huge deal. He shortcuts a lot of things and it drives me absolutely batty! Like, when he changes a diaper, he doesn't put Aeryn's pants back on - just the diaper. Random other things, but I can't think of anything specific at the moment.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:36 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I think my DH would be able to handle the baby just fine (he has really young brother that is 18 years younger so he's had practice). But I'd come home to a disaster area of dirty dishes, cluttered living room, etc! Cleaning is not his strong point lmao. When I leave for any length of time, I make sure to clean really well beforehand, and leave enough tv dinners for him to survive through a nuclear disaster. Oh and lots of paper plates and plastic silverware lmao!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My SO would have no problem what-so-ever, even if we had all 4 kids that day. He is an excellent father. I'm so confident in him that I probably wouldn't even call to check on them. He is more patient than I am anyway. Now as far as the house being clean when I got home, probably not, but the kids would be fed, clean, && unharmed. So that's good enough for me.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• hubby knows, but doesn't like it. He gets frustrated easily an doesn't like to change poopy diapers. She's potty training now, so he doesn't mind as much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My husband is a good father and is as capable with our kids as I am. I got three times a year with friends for Spa weekends. The house is as clean as I would have it and the kids are well cared for. So glad I am married to a real man and not a lazy dad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i have been in and out of hte hospital a few times since we have had our kids...i was right after the first ones birth for an infection, and ill tell you i was more scared of what was going on at home without me than i was about getting better...LOL but i shouldnt have worried...then when we had our second daughter he was home alone with our then 5yo the entire time...he did great....well just last year i was in the hospital for a week with pancreatitis....he took care of the kids beautifully....but the place was a disaster...LOL cleaning isnt his forte
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 31, 2009