My 20 month old thinks it's funny to throw his food!

How can I get him to stop. I take his food away and tell him no. I give him one piece at a time.. no luck. He loves to throw his food on the floor. He doesn't do this at daycare or around my mother. I hate to say it but I've given up. How do I regain control?

pipandmijosmom

Asked by pipandmijosmom at 9:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mealtime is as much a time for nutrition as a time to learn social skills. Throwing food across the room makes for cute scenes—and frankly, it can be funny—but beware, your laughter may encourage unwanted behavior. Without dampening your baby’s enthusiasm for food and the spirit of the family gathering, start letting your baby know what you think is or is not appropriate. Pleasant dialogue and laughter make meals enjoyable for baby and the whole family.
    So hold his hand and say no. no throw and do this over and over and if you don't get a response then just feed him a certain amt and then leave a bit from him to practice picking up with his fingers.
    calliemist

Answer by calliemist at 9:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• make him clean it up.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 10:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• try ingnoring him. Maybe he is getting a kick out of your reaction, rather negative or not!!! I would ignore him a few days and see if that helps. Good luck.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Pop his hands whenever he does it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2008