How can I get my 10mth yr old off the bottle?

i know its probably a little too soon but I want to get my son off the bottle soon so it wont be as difficult later. any ideas on how i can get him off?

mommaY107

Asked by mommaY107 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We just stopped giving our son the bottle so much and mostly gave him a sippy. Then we completely dropped the bottle. Easy as pie.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 10:50 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Wait till he's ready. Why the rush to make your baby grow up? Geez...
    Anonymous

• start giving your baby a soft spout nuby sippy cup. My 10 month old daughter loves them. Their only $2 and you can get them at the dollar store.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I do this at 12mos and its easy at 12mos just take it away. Once they hit 12mos they start getting more attached to it and even at 16mos it becomes alot harder! The main thing is get them drinking through a cup or sippy good before you take the bottle away. My daughter wasn't at 12mos good with a sippy, so we just used sports bottles and that worked for her.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• dang 9 mos is a little insane!
    Anonymous

• When my daughter was 11 months I gave birth to my son and I thought it would be best to have only one baby on the bottle at a time so I got her a giant yellow duckie and stop giving her bottles instead i offered her a sippie cup and crazy straws with her favorite characters she never looked back but she still drags that duck every where she goes. she is three and a half now . My son on the other hand is an altogether different story, he screamed endlessly for his bottle each time I tried weening him off it and even though he graduated up to a sippy cup or a cup with a lid and straw he wont go to to bed or any where else without it clutched in his arm and he insists it be refilled like a bottle during the night and the second he wakes up. My oldest now 7 just set it down on her own insisting on a big girl cup or my cup.

ladykandaline

Answer by ladykandaline at 2:01 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• if you haven't already, introduce a sippy (i 2nd the recommendation for the nuby soft spout as a transition). Once he's comfortable with a sippy (we started with small amounts of water or formula before bfeeding), substitute that for the bottle at one feeding every day or so until the bottle is gone.

Answer by missanc at 2:15 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I started with the sippies a while back with my DS (also 10 months). Started with Juice, now we've only been doing sippies (formula now) for a few days. So far so good. We just went cold turkey method with it. He seems to be ok.
    WendyJR

Answer by WendyJR at 2:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I just started putting the formula in one of the Nuby sippy cups and threw out the bottles. My daughter was fine with it at 10 months. We eventually switched over to a regular sippy and she was fine with those as well. It really wan't a problem at all.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 2:35 PM on Jul. 31, 2009