Are crib bumpers really safe?

I took her crib bumper out of her bed because its a higher risk for sids(im told) and now she as become more active in her sleep and i find her with her legs hanging out or she has rolled over and placed herself against the rails and gets upset cuz she cant move.... I want to put the bumper on but im afraid she will suffiocate when she rolls all over the place... any advice???

Nessa1346

Asked by Nessa1346 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I left my son's bumper in until he was big enough to pull himself up && stand in his crib. He would try to use the bumper to stand taller. That's when I took it out. I don't know when all the books && things tell you to take it out.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I used the bumper until she could stand. I took it out once when she got sick to clean it and she keep getting stuck in the rails and waking up screaming. It wasn't that big of a deal. But they do make breathable ones if you are worried about that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• if she can already roll over then dont worry about it.. shes capabale of moving if she feels like she cant breath cause her face is up against the bumper
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Nope they aren't very safe, which is why we never used the one that came with our bedding (took it apart and made a window treatment and pillows with it)
    They can cause suffication, if your bumber has SUPER long ties like mine did they can easily strangle on those and when they are old enough to move around they also start pulling up and and they can use it to stand on and climb on.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:22 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• We had the same problem. My dd just likes the coziness of bumpers. I don't think there's much to worry about- we never had a problem anyhow. If the ties are extra long just cut them shorter. I say if they help your child sleep better than why take it away?
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I just wanted to add, my dd would sleep in the very corner with her head and face up against the bumper and she was still able to breath just fine. I watched her a lot when she started doing that, but it's how she slept best so I would just leave her there.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:27 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• bumpers arnt save for babys, they can role into them and sufficate... they make breathable bumpers now, so get one of those if u want to have a bumper...
    Marissa87

Answer by Marissa87 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• They say never put the bumpers in a crib, but I've used them with all 4 of my kids until they could stand. If your child can roll around, he's past the most crucial time for sids (or so I've been told) and the bumper would probably be okay. They do make the breathable bumpers if you're still concerned about sids.

Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Julipickle2, my daughter does the same thing...sleeping with her face in the corner against the bumper.
    She's done that since birth with her swing and carseat....she would try to suck on them so I think thats where she gets the quirk from. It bothers me a bit, but she always has herself positioned to where her forehead touches the bumber but her nose and mouth dont, but are close.

She's beginning to pull herself up or sit on her knees to see over the crib, but when she can actually stand....then I'll be taking those bumpers out. I'm predicted alot of forehead bruises for my daughter.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I never had a problem with crib bumpers for my babies. I used them because they would bump their little heads on the sides of the crib when they would get to rolling around and then wake up screaming with a red mark on their head from the crib sides. I never "tucked" them into the area between the mattress or anything like that though because I think that wouldn't be good to do. My kids never got stuck between the bumper pad and the crib because we made sure we had the right size mattress for the crib. I think that's very important so there are no major gaps. My daughter always seemed to have her legs hanging out the sides of the crib (between the bars) when she was sleeping and she never got "stuck". Keeping a monitor in the nursery, I think, is a must, in case they do wake up screaming in distress.
    jeepingmom

Answer by jeepingmom at 2:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2009