Can somebody explain what "community organizers" actually DO?

I'm not trying to be funny, I really want to know what these people do. I keep hearing about ACORN and Americorp, and how they are getting (and maybe misusing) millions of dollars in Federal money, and all I've ever heard of them doing is registering a few people to vote. What do they do? Who do they help? Who started them? When?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They organize a community. And run for president of the United States with absolutely no credentials to back it up. And when they win, they run the country right into the ground. :-)

christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 12:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Your guessw would be as good ad mine.
    jenmay44me

Answer by jenmay44me at 11:07 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• They're like Junior Al Sharptons! They scream about the injustices, they try to "light a fire" under people to join their cause, they lead the masses of like minded people. Oh, yeah--and they perpetually campaign for elected positions and/or public office! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:24 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• No one really knows. They just another lobbying group from what I can tell. Their payoff for getting Obama elected was money from the bailout and other sweet contracts to work for the Government. They tossed my voter registration card and many others registration cards. I have my reciept did not matter my vote was not counted on election day. I am suing them but they have the power of the President behind them I am but a single tax payer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• www.acorncracked.com
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:33 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• um...organize the community :D

Americorp is similar to the peace corp except they stay in America. they get paid a little to do good for those less fortunate. they help in all sorts of areas: tutoring, disaster relief, building houses, public health, etc. ive never heard anything bad about them...the bad things are always said about ACORN.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:56 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I volunteered with Acorn a few times last summer. They stopped 5 foreclosures by talking to the sheriff when he came to the house. we stood outside, when they came some of the members talked to him, and 4 of the 5 homes were saved.

The last house that wasn't, they gave the family info on where they could go to get help...It was a great experience

Community organizers works with members of teh community and local politicians and community leaders to get stuff done. Help get funding for libraries, schools, help stem violence. Hold town hall style meetings to come up with solutions for problems for that particuliar neighborhood
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I have seen nothing but bad said about ACORN, voter fraud is the worst crap one can do , in my opinion. And guess what ACORN made sure this happened at least their "volunteers" did. Why would anyone support such a group unless they too are uncooth?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:52 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• sweet-a-kins I volunteered with Acorn a few times last summer.

of course you did.
    Anonymous

• Just from video clips I have seen on TV:
    ... the ACORN community organizers hired a passel of people to get bussed over to the street in front of AIG so they could hold up the signs given to them and create what LOOKED like a spontaneous public protest over the executives' bonuses. The media showed that publicity stunt non-stop throughout the weeks of controversy. (Some of the media were pretty mad that they had been duped.)
    ... they flooded into or in front of banks which didn't want to loan money to folks with low income or bad credit in order to force the managers to buckle ... they also gathered at the homes of these financially-responsible managers.
    ... they hire out-of-work people to fan out and register new voters in targeted areas into the Democrat Party
    ... as far as ACORN goes, they collect $millions in donations, but before getting to the local needy, the $ goes to HQ in Louisiana. ... Louisiana is investigating
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2009