Should his punishment have been more severe?

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32233338/ns/today-today_people/

Long story short; a 7 year old stole his parent's car and went for a joy ride around town because he didn't want to go to church. The cops followed him to the house where the boy ran away from them, inside. The parents grounded him for 4 days and took away all driving video games.

Then they take him on vacation to NY, put him on TV, and take him to a concert! Seriously?!?! A commenter from MSNBC said that if it had been an AA boy he'd have been taken to juvie.

Now I'm not saying the kid should do jail time, but I think his punishment should have been much more severe.

Your thoughts?

Jessy0419

Asked by Jessy0419 at 11:34 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• he's just a child.
    sounds like the parents need to be punished.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It just goes to show you how some parents don't discipline their kids.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 11:37 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I don't think the boy should be prosecuted by the law, so that means it is up to the parents to dole out the consequences, and the police cannot dictate that. Unfortunately, not all parents deal out appropriate punishments, but it's their kids and it's up to them to deal with it.

If that's true about the comment on the color of the child, that is just BS. I have seen news stories covered of black kids doing the same damn thing this kid did, and they weren't taken into custody either. I don't know why everything has to be racial. I am completely fed up with it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:38 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• you just turned this into a race post...anyway if it was my kids I would of made the cops take him down town and scare the hell out of him my son is biracial and he prob would of went down town were I live but every town if different ..all I can say is that my kid would of had strong punishment he would of hated me but ooh well though love

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• They made it out to be funny, it wasn't to me. Our boys were in the living room when that segment was on and I told each of them that they wouldn't be sitting on TV if they were to do anything like that. They wouldn't be able to sit and they would be spending time in juvenile detention. They don't have a clue what it is except that it's jail for kids.. Hopefully it put a little fear in them. And I agree the parents should be punished as well... The Mom didn't say anything, if I were them I would have been too embarrassed to display my horrible parenting on national TV.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• NO NO NO! I didn't mean it to be a race post...GOSH! *blush* I just meant that it's not fair that different children in different areas would be treated differently. I wasn't trying to start a debate about race, sorry! And again, it wasn't me that said it, I was quoting a commentor on MSNBC.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I know I just know how people are here on c-m ... i think the child should of got his ass kicked up and down the street and should do volunteer yard work for his elderly neighbors etc etc if it was my son he would be pulling weeds right now LOL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My neighbors child did this a couple months ago. He was 10 not 7 like this boy. He was given a free pass as well. His mom thought it was funny he was never punished. Oh he was also black.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Msnbc are idiots to air that comment.

That seven year old would n't have been seeing daylight for a year if he lived with me.

Of course, my kids don't have video games for me to take away. They want to play, they go outside, plain and simple.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

not all black people are like that ..thank you my son is biracial and I would of kicked his ass

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 31, 2009