What's in a name?

Is your family name a name you can be proud of? I could always take pride in who I was and be proud to be a part of my family. If someone asked me who my parents were I was happy to tell them. I really took that for granted. I have kept my exhusbands name so my dd and I have the same name. I am ok with that, but my one regret is that I have no pride in it. I dont want it on my wall in a pretty decal. I can never tell my dd, "we are Spruels and we dont do that!", cause her dads family name isnt something to be proud of. (yes I know I picked him) but my point is do you have a name you can speak proudly? and if you do please dont take it for granted!! Is the name your making for your family one they could proudly claim to be a part of?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 11:35 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• A long time ago some chicken German guy went AWOL from the army and hopped a boat to America. He settled in the hills of Virginia, changed his last name, and fathered a bunch of kids and later had the tendency to...intermingle...because they were so reclusive. And so began my family name. No, I'm not proud of it, but you can't change who you are I guess. As a matter of fact, my parents found out (after thier divorce) that they were in fact distantly related.  Very distantly, thank goodness. 

I look at it this way, at least I'm not one of Hitler's kids or something.

Anon so people don't hit my Inbox shouting "Filthy inbred!" or something, lol.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i'm proud of my maiden name that's why when i got married i dropped my middle name and kept my maiden name as a middle name, and i sign checks that way and always have to have that name seen lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I am proud of my last name even though I don't care for hubby's family. I don't understand why you can't start telling your daughter you are "Spruels" and don't do this or that. You are a different set of "Spruels". You could even say that. Something like "Well, these Spruels don't act like/say those kind of things. We are raising you with a higher standard of living/being." Don't raise her to be ashamed of her name, whatever it may be....Spruel or Smith.
    Anonymous

• I agree in away a last name doesnt make a person who they are a person makes oneself who they are you cant say its okay to cheat on something because its in my family history or i can rob a bank because my great grandad did a name is meaningless its the person that makes the difference
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I agree too that it isnt always in a name but it's about the person and who they are as an individual.
    Pride, ethics, morals, values, honesty, and integrity, go farther with a person than anything else.
    There can be a family history of generations of thieves and murderers, but all it takes is one person in that family to come along with these positive traits to stop the old traditions and instill new values for the future generations.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:37 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I've never really given much thought to it. A last name was just an identifier to me I guess. I loved my maiden name but its long and hard to spell for other people. So I took my Dh's last name which is shorter. His last name is common so, it doesn't matter about the family reputation because there are sooo many of them.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2009