changing last name

anyone else married but still hasn't changed their last name? i still haven't changed it, im waiting until im 21 because i need to get a new drivers license and i don't want to pay for it twice.

ilovenoah26

Asked by ilovenoah26 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• Yea I got married last year and haven't changed my name and don't plan to....
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 11:59 AM on Jul. 31, 2009

• oh i definately wanna change it i hate my last name right now no one knows how to pronounce it right lol
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 12:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When my mom and step-dad got married, she never changed her name. They married 6 years ago (been together for 13) She finally did last year because they almost divorced and the lawyer told her it would be best (or something like that).

Anonymous

• I changed my last name right after we married. But I once read an article about ladies that had waited and then when they decided to change their last name, it was way more of a hassle and they ended up going to the courthouse and getting married again - no divorce - just acting like they weren't married to begin with, in order for them to change their last name. Hopefully you don't have that problem.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I didnt change my last name when I got married. This is my 2nd marriage and I had ds from my first marriage and I wanted to keep my last name the same as his last name. Plus I liked my name, was established with my name and didnt see any reason to have to change it just because I got married. We love each other, we're married, we know it, we're happy, what else matters? : )
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You might want to check the rules now for changing your name. Of course you can keep your name but you might not be able to change after a certain amount of time. They made a lot of rules after 911.

We have had problems with my son's name. When he was born his father and I were separated and his father filed for divorce the day after he was born. In that state you can't file for divorce while pregnant. I gave my son my name, I had never changed it.

He has my name for 16 years. It's on his ss card, drivers permit, everything. Goes to get his license and since his father paid support he has to use his father's name. It was flagged in the computer system. He never even met his father. He has to go to court to have his name changed.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• And yes, if you do decide to change your last name after you are married, and you specifically said you werent going to change it at the time you filled out your paperwork, then yes, you have to go through a petition to the courts to do a formal name change. But, if you specified that you were going to be changing your last name when you were getting married (or at the time you did your paperwork) then all you have to do is submit your marriage paperwork.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• what do i have to do just change my name on SS card for it to be legal, i was never told what to do
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I changed my name right after I got married (got married at 18, needed a new license at 20 I think). I didn't have to pay for my married last name license. The state just sent me an update card to keep with it. It had all my info on it but no picture so that is why I had to keep my old license.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I kept my last name after my last marriage until some stupid hospital refused to admit me without using my x husband's last name. Then I changed it which sucks bc now I'm divorced and have to pay $250 to get my own name back not to mention changing my license and bank checks, etc.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:43 PM on Jul. 31, 2009