if home preg test is wrong, which way is it usually wrong?

Home pregnancy tests always give the % of accuracy.
If it is wrong, which way is it usually wrong.
when it lists negative - could really positive?

or if it lists positive - could it really be negative?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If it is negative it could be positive.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 12:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It is usully a false negative. Usually because the test is taken too early or if for some reason your hormone levels aren't high when you test (maybe you drink a lot of water so you can pee but it dilutes your urine & hormone levels).

False positives are pretty rare. It can happen if you have miscarried (whether natural or abortion) recently & still have hormones in your system or if you wait to long to read the test b/c after about 15 minutes, the test isn't valid & both lines can show. A very, very rare woman always produces the pregnancy hormone & will always test positive (I know one woman like this & she will told a HPT will never be accurate b/c she will always test positive).
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I had like 4 negatives. They were all dollar store tests. As soon as i got an EPT from Target it came out positive. So it may have just been the cheapo's i used. Though they worked for everyone else I know
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 12:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I've heard there's no such thing as a false positive. Because the test only picks up the preg. Hormone. Unless like a PP said you've recently had a m/c or something... You CAN get a false neg. Though.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I have never had a false negative, even from Dollar Store tests. WIth my last 2 pregnancies, I took a Dollar Store test 3 days after missing my monthly and it came out possitive.
    jenniferh3

Answer by jenniferh3 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i never took home pregnancy test. I find them to unreliable. So I just went to the my local hospital where they do blood work and they will administer a blood pregnancy test. You call back in about 2 hours and you will have your results. What I did with my son and my dr actually recommends this to all this patience. The great thing is they are 10.00/test. Way cheaper than some home tests.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I googled it when I first found out I was pregnant, because I didn't want to get my hopes up. It seems as though unless there was a recent miscarriage or you had just recently had a baby or something like that a false positive is extremely unlikely.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• thanks. i think you all answered my question.
    i went to dr today and their urine test showed positive,
    so i had blood test done - waiting for results

but i guess it's most likely going to be positive?
    Anonymous

• Sounds like it. Congratulations!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• usually theres no false positives just false negatives if you take it to early..
    kelsbug05

Answer by kelsbug05 at 12:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2009