Silly Question I think- but I have to ask- it is about breastfeeding...

So I have NO idea anything about breastfeeding- vbut Ih ave seen ?'s here about periods coming after breastfeeding- so my question is- does your period stop when you breastfeed? Do you NOT get a period when you breastfeed? Do you bleed less? What about cramping? Do you get cramps during your "time" but no blood- how does it work? Sorry - I just have no clue!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It really depends. Some people do not get a period at all while breastfeeding. Many women don't get a period until many months after giving birth because of breast feeding, and there are a few who breastfeeding doesn't affect at all. With my first it was 6 months before I had a period. With #3 it was only 1 month! Lol. I believe most woman go longer than I did! You do not have a period and you do not have cramping.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:29 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Everything you mentioned is a normal occurance during breastfeeding. It's kinda like how every pregnancy is different. Some women bleed, some don't some are lighter, etc. It normally does delay ovulation, but it is by no means an effective method of birth control. Breastfeeding does cause more intense cramps after childbirth, but that's a goos thing becuase it helps everything heal and cuts down on postpartum bleeding.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Some women do not get a period back until they have finished breatfeeding. Other women will have it return while still breatfeeding. Other women get it very soon postpardum . Every person is different, I did not have mine while I breastfed my daughter. I hope this helps! =)
    AudreysMommy798

Answer by AudreysMommy798 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• It depends on how you breastfeed. If you breastfeed without giving your baby any bottles or pacifiers and your baby nurses during the night your periods may not return for a year or even longer.

If your baby gets bottles, pacifiers, sleeps through the night, goes long times between feedings then your periods may start as soon as that happens. When the baby starts solids then periods may start.

Periods may be irregular. If the baby gets sick and nurses more you may miss a period. You can ovulate and get pregnant before you have your first period. So you could go 9 months through a pregnancy, nurse a year, get pregnant without having a period, go 9 months through a pregnancy, and nurse a year without a period. That would be 9+12+9+12=42 months without a pregnancy.

That's not a good idea. It's best for the health of the mother and the baby to wait about 3 year before getting pregnant
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:37 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• When I said 42 months without a pregnancy above I should have said period.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:38 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I am not sure that how you breastfeed really has that much to do with it. I exclusively breastfed my kids. 2 never got bottles or pacifiers and all nursed during the night. My period has come back at a different time each child! The longest I went was with my son who ALWAYS had a pacifier and also took a bottle! Lol!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:41 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I didn't have my period for 19 months total, from conception to the return after pregnancy. I am still breastfeeding my daughter (now 14 months)

I didn't have cramping or anything at all during the time when my period was absent.

I hope this answers your question.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 1:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• i've been nursing for 13 months and still haven't had a real period. occasionally, and not until recently, i have had some cramps and some light spotting, but nothing to write home about ;)
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Breastfeeding can delay ovulation, which is why so many women don't have a period while breastfeeding. But there's no way to tell without a period when you ovulate, which is why it's not a good idea to rely on breastfeeding as birth control. You can also have a period without ovulating. Generally, if you breastfeed, you won't have a period for at least a few months after birth, nor any period-like symptoms (unless you happen to get pregnant before your period shows). Some women don't have a period until they completely wean off breastfeeding, for others it's when breastfeeding slows down due to supplementing, starting solids, or something of the like. If you do have periods while breastfeeding, they're usually the same as they are when you're not breastfeeding. I think that answered everything. :-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:30 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I hate the answers to questions like these, because you've got people saying "well, it wasn't true for me, so it must be a myth." In general, MOST breastfeeding moms who do not use bottles or pacifiers, and who nurse through the night for extended periods of time, will not get their period back until six months. You're going to find outliers. It held true for me. I just had my first period in 3 years. I got pregnant with my second without having a period. Just because it was true for me doesn't mean it's ALWAYS true. On average, it will be true for most people.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:00 PM on Jul. 31, 2009