• In the Spotlight:

how likely is it to rip with your second child if you ripped with your first

i had my first child a year ago and if i rip again then will it be in the same spot

kimandjames

Asked by kimandjames at 12:47 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Health

• Sounds like you already know the drill. If this child is the same size as the last or bigger then yes, it's likely you will rip. Why didn't your doctor do an episiotomy? Ask if they can cut you this time instead of letting you rip.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My doctor did an episiotomy with my daughter so that I wouldn't rip. She ended up being 9 lbs 2 oz.
    MOM2JEM

Answer by MOM2JEM at 12:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I had an episiotomy with my first, small rip with no stitches with second, and no rip with my third. The third was a very rapid birth.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• You need an episiotomy. If you rip again,you will have problems that don't quit .....
    Anonymous

• it dependson your childs size and how you healed. Often, you are less likely to rip the second time given similiar factors. If the child comes fast, you are more likely to rip, so a lot plays into it. Also, dispiste what others may say, it is *typically* healthier to rip on your own than to get an episiotomy. Natural tears follow natrual weak points and heal better (again, in general) than the forced cut which can be through tissue, muscle, etc.
    Anonymous

• you might. i ripped with my first baby who weighed 5lbs5oz. for my other daughters who weighed 5lbs 13 oz and 6lbs 5oz i didn't rip or need an episiotomy but i did have a different doctor who massaged me down there when they were crowning. i think that made a difference.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 1:51 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• A skilled child birth attendant can gently stretch the vaginal opening to prevent tearing and reduce the need for an episiotomy.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Ripping is actually better than cutting.

Take a piece of paper and tear it.
    Take a second piece of paper, cut it some, the tear.
    The pre cut paper tears more.
    Your vagina works the same way.

Sometimes an episiotomy is necessary though. My first child's hand was wrapped to his head with the cord. They had to cut me because they said they couldn't get him out without doing so. With my second two children I had minimal tearing, in fact I don't even remember getting stitched after my second child and she was considerably larger than the first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2009