Kindergarden Shots... & my 6 month old...

My step-son is getting his kindergarden shots today; MMR, Chicken Pox, Tetnus, Polio, & another one I can't think of... My 6 months old has not got any shots... I read someplace that after recieving shots you can transfer those illiness up to like two weeks after that... Since my daughter has not got shots is she at risk? I called the doctors office and the receptionist answered the question so I'm just curious if anyone else had heard anything...

CocoB22

Asked by CocoB22 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't trust the receptionists answer? I would think the chances of transfer are minimial. But at my doc office, the nurses answer the phone, so they would know the answer. Maybe that's true at your office too?
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure about Chicken Pox, but I'm pretty sure the others do not use live virus anymore so they are not contagious. I know the polio is no longer because it was an issue with my middle dd as her friend had cancer and was immunosuppresed when she got hers.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• A child is not contagious after the shots.

The stool of people that got the live oral polio used to be contagious. After polio had been pretty much wiped out in the US the only people that got is was from stool contamination. Inventor Albert Sabian wanted oral polio pulled from the market years before it was since the shot form could be given. I believe the people that got polio got less serious cases.

My 3 children and I have a rare genetic immune deficiency disease called CVID. One of the things we lack is Immunoglubin A that protects our digestive tracks. In the early 1990s they did studies of people with immune deficiencies. We had to send stool samples different places and have blood tests. The results of the study were part of what was used to stop the oral polio being used.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• MMR and Chicken Pox are live virus vaccines.

They *can* shed the vaccine, but it's not a guarantee.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 31, 2009