10 going on 11 and i don't know what to get her

my daughter is going on 11 and shes to old for bratz and dolls. she likes craft stuff alot but i want to be able to get her something that she can actually use/play with. she complains about not having anything to do. any ideas?

momandytai

Asked by momandytai at 1:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• This is kind of an odd gift idea but what about finding some kind of activity she wants to do and signing her up for that. Such as a craft class, dance, gymnastics, other rec activities. I mean if she says she has nothing to do this might give her a lil more interest. And you could still do a gift like if you find some kind of craft class get her a bunch of craft stuff for that class or something like that. Not a traditional Idea but thought I would through it out there.
    KatSul

Answer by KatSul at 1:21 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Games? My kids are around that age and love Hanna Montana. There is also so many different crafts that you can get her. I got my DD a craft set and its a thing to where she can make candles. ( I wont let her light them though they are mainly for looks) Also if she likes crafts maby get her a scrap book and things to go with it. Good luck it only gets harder to buy for them the older they get. My step son is so picky that everything I buy him he don't like.

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• If she doesn't know how to knit you might get her some basic knitting stuff. If you can knit you could show her or you could arrange classes or for someone else to teach. Knitting is easy and and somethning she can do her whole life. What I would like to have is size 8 bamboo needles, yarn, and a bag with a zipper to take projects with me.

She could make rectangles for Warm Up America or baby hats for one of the charities and feel like she is helping others. You could print out info about these kind of charities. You could also print out some easy patterns. You can email me if you would like some ideas.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:31 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• they have this thing in my area at the local walmart called spa factory...its like a science kit, but the kid can make thier own perfume, lotions, bath fizzes...stuff like that..i got it for our 11 yo and she ADORES it...plus it keeps her occupied for hours!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• Make a craft box, I have done this with all my kids and grandkids, they love them. Just get one of those plastic boxes with a lid, however big you want and start filling it with craft supplies.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:45 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• My daughter is also turning 11 soon. She has become interested in the Lego city sets such as the Beach House or the Service Station. She and her younger brother are planning a Lego City so she is picking out the parts of it she wants to do. She is also still crazy about Webkinz, primarily for the codes so she can play on Webkinz World. She is also very creative and likes some crafts sets. I found a sock puppet kit at Target and she really enjoyed making her puppets and then putting on a show and playing with them with her brother. I've also bought just some loose beads, sequins, felt etc and put it all into a small plastic bin with a lid. She likes to sit and work on 'projects' and use these items to make interesting things or decorate things like old shoe boxes. I did get her an iPod shuffle and together we choose the songs she gets to put on it. Hope that helps.
    MamaBond

Answer by MamaBond at 3:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• if u have a AC moore store near by take her there and let her pick out some stuff. they have everything for crafts that u'll ever need. If u dont have AC Moore near try wal-mart of another craft store! Or try ur local library. Maybe a good book is all she needs!
    nikimullins

Answer by nikimullins at 4:17 PM on Jul. 31, 2009

• I'm in the same place: our daughter turns 11 on the 26th. I don't know your girlie, but here's what we're doing... mine asked for a gift certificate at Justice so she can pick out some clothes. I like that... practical and fun, plus she can go with her 17 year old cousin who is the epitome of cool LOL.

Beside the gift cert, we always go to dinner wherever the birthday kiddo wants, and later I'm taking her to a local make-a-mosaic place (we found it together one day and both flipped out at the idea) and also to a spa for a pedicure so she and mom can have "girl time" without little brother around.

Target used to have a really great beading kit... it was in a divided pink wooden box, and included great quality beads, plus cording, plus findings. I seem to think it was somewhere around $20 or so. Local bead stores will also have classes that she can take and pick out her own beads.
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 2:55 PM on Aug. 11, 2009